Collins our QB of the future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm thinking we can go full speed ahead with kerry as our starting QB even through the 2010 season. Why not?

Collins doesn't look any different now at age 35 from when he was 27 except the fact he is leaner, faster and hungrier. Huh? Yeah he looks even better now even running the plays intended for vince young like bootlegs and rollouts.

Collins has no history of concussions, major leg injuries and has no damage to his arm. These are the things that retired QBs like steve young, troy aikman, dan marino and jim kelly at his age. Consider that kurt warner is 2 years older than collins and has one of the best passing ratings in the league. Bret favre 3 years and 2 months older is still playing well.

Then there is the historical aspect of all this. Collins is 15th in nfl history in passing yardage. Every 3-5 games he plays he passes someone ahead of him. If he can add another 10,000 yards to his total before hanging it up he would be 7th alltime. Add a ring to that ranking and maybe the hall? Maybe?

This is a man who is supremely motivated and as the trigger man for an elite powerhouse team he has to be peachy happy after 2 years at oakland.

Kerry collins likes it here he is grateful that it was our organization that gave him a chance in 06 and even more grateful for the 2nd chance in 2007. He has worked hard and is playing well. We should keep him around for at least 2 more years.

Problem is how do we pay collins like a starting QB and still keep vince young? Young is in year 3 of an 8 year $80M deal. I wonder what the texans would give for him?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. T Atlas

T Atlas Guest

I take it you're not a Vince supporter.

I still think Vince will lead us eventually, but I would like to see him beat out Collins for the job. Don't just give the job to him. If he can't get it done by next offseason, then I admit we need to start finding a better quarterback. Age will eventually catch up with Collins. He'll suffice for this year and next though. Hes been looking sharp so far (sides a horribly thrown int).

Halls out of the question though. xD

3. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

Neil O'Donnell wasn't our QB of the future. Steve McNair was. O'Donnell just filled in until Mc9 recovered from an injury.

I expect this situation to play out the same.

4. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

the difference is that mcnair was at least a decent qb

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vince is no mcnair. How hard is that to comprehend?

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I noticed how nobody talked about the financial ramifications. Collins is a free agent after this season.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

After a couple of more games, I'm going to compare Vince Young to Collins, and you are likely to find Vince Young was actually better at moving the ball down the field. Collins has done nothing spectacular yet. It looks better, aethestically, but it hasn't been better. I'd call it a tie at this point.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

While I agree with most of what you are saying, you've pretty much answered this yourself. If Collins is in it for the Glory, not the money, he would sign cheaper. It would be starter money, but still cheaper. Teams don't have room for two QB's of the future. If that is indeed Collins, then Vince is gone.

9. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Kerry's our QB of the future, alright.

The immediate future.

VY will be back.

Eventually.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Don't forget to factor in who turned the ball over more... and so far, I think Collins has been spectacular compared to Young. No, he hasn't put the team on his shoulders, but he doesn't have to. He does what Vince should do i.e. manage the game. I'm not saying that Young can't come back and be the playmaker (or like I said, game manager would be enough) we want him to be, but I hope we never draft another QB who made it in college on mostly athletic ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar