College Football PlayOff

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rcarie, Sep 5, 2007.

?
  1. Current system adding 1 game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4 Team playoff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8 Team Playoff

42.9%
  4. 16 Team playoff

57.1%
  5. None. It's great the way it is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I know this has been touched on before but it's always fun to talk about.

So, how do you feel about a college football playoff??

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Done properly, it would rival any sporting event -- pro or college.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Honestly, why not 64 teams. 6 games. 6 weeks. You could easily have 6 games in your conference, two games out of it, and take a weak off, and then let the tournament begin. I see very little reason not to go for the whole shibang. Plenty of bowl games, almost all of them getting horse loads of money. I mean who wouldn't be watching. It could be done. There is plenty of money to go around in a system like this. I don't think the bigger schools would be losing any revenue. I think everyone wins. And only two teams would even play 14 games.

For all those teams who only have an 8 game season. They could all be entered into mini 16 team tournaments with homes games to fill that need. Or just play 3 more conference games with teams that did not make it.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I voted for 8 teams, but I have the ultimate plan for the perfect college football playoff system, and it requires 10 teams (sort of). Because an 8 team playoff would just lead to controversy on who the 7th and 8th selections are and who would be left out... you have to remove the polls (not completely)... but anyway, here is how you do it....

Step 1) All 6 major conferences must expand to minimum 12 teams and each conference must have a conference championship game. ONLY the winner of the conference can advance to the playoff. [Net 6 playoff teams]

Step 2) Dissolve the Sun-Belt, merge all non major conference teams into the other 4 conferences (MAC, WAC, MWC, CUSA). Each Conference must have a championship game.

Step 3) Inter-conference championship games. (You could call this the first round of the playoffs.) WAC conf champ vs. MWC conf champ. MAC champ vs CUSA champ. The winners of those games go to the playoff. [Net 2 playoff teams]

Step 4) Use the polls to determine the order of the 8 playoff teams.

Step 5) PLAYOFFS! You have an argument free, basically poll free, way to decide a true National Champion. And the team will have to be a conference champion to become national champion, which I think is important. (It's basically a 10 team playoff, when you consider the minor conference champions week)

Under this system, still plenty of room for bowl games, and there would still be some great ones, imagine the teams that get upset from the major conference championships would fill the major bowls. Even at 12 season games, 1 conf championship game... the most any team could play in a season would be 15 games with the playoffs (or 16 if a non-major conf. made it to the finals).

So, I really like my plan. I think any other way of doing the playoffs will only lead to more controversy, I can only imagine how pissed I would be if a 1 loss UT team was ranked 9th, and a 1 loss Oregon team was ranked 8th and made the playoffs above tennessee.

Any thoughts suggestions, likes, dislikes??

5. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I didnt vote because I dont know what the right number of games would be, but I would love to see the playoff system in college football. If the NCAA is worried about all the sponsor money let them sponsor the playoff games like they do the bowl games.

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I voted for the 8 game just to even the poll out at 3-3...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar