Coaching candidates and interviews

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The purpose of the Rooney rule is simply to give minority coaches a chance in a system that is too good ole boy driven.

We see it even among posters here who are willing for us to hire coaches who failed in previous jobs like Gregg Williams. That is always what irked me about coaching hires that coaches would get 2nd and third chances even though they failed each time.

I would rather have Munch than Wiliams any day. Williams had his chance and did nothing.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Buffalo Bills.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

"""""Buffalo Bills."""""

Yeah fewell, Mularkey and Williams all coaches for the Bills and were fired by the Bills. So let us compare records.

Fewell-3-4

Mularkey-14-18

Williams 17-31

So take the guy with the worst record and hire him? Keeping in mind that while the Saints did have a good defense this year they laid down like a cheap whore in the playoffs.

FYI Fewell's record that year with the Bills was better than Dick Jauron who was 3-6 before Fewell took over. So things are relative. You don;t expect miracles but how about a competitive team to start?

What is more about Williams is that his 3 years with the Bills the team had no particular personality that you could draw from. The defense was never the same one year from the next, they were not really a running team or a passing team. For 2 of those 3 years Williams was there he had a stable vet QB in bledsoe who made the pro bowl in 2002.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If anyone wants to talk about race, please move it over to the thread in Taboo on the subject.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just floating this out as a possible candidate:

I think the Titans may bring in Winston Moss after the Super Bowl who is a Packers assistant and LB coach. He not only fulfills the Rooney Rule, he's got solid credentials and Mike Reinfeldt knows him from his Seattle days.

If he's not head coach material, I bet he's on the radar as a defensive coordinator. The Eagles are rumored to be high on him for that spot already.

6. stump1000

stump1000 NFL Insider

But as far as I know, he's only coached 3 seasons in the NFL. One playoff appearance, still sounds better than Fishers record. The 2009 Seahawks sucked but a lot of it has to do with the team around them. He didnt get a chance to do anything as a Seahawk.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If you think Jim mora jr has a better sounding record than Jeff fisher you are math challenged. 54% better than 48%. :suspect:

That's how moronic this discussion has become. We are replacing a coach who won 54% of his games. Why do we even need to bother with former head coaches with losing records?

FYI mora hax coached 64 games, 4 seasons.

8. amy

amy Starter

Because there are no candidates that have a better win record? Because there is more to hiring a coach than just looking at the win/loss record?

9. Thefreak

Thefreak Shut Down Corner

Jim Mora Jr? Seriously? He was the Jim Schwartz of S.F. Except he had no coaching ability. Somehow this tall tale grew that he was this great young mind and he was going to be a great head coach one day. I have no clue where this notion came from as his defense in S.F. was atrocious.

If you think Jim Mora is even deserving of a head coaching job in college you are dead wrong. Maybe DII, but that is pushing it. Jim Mora Jr walked into a situation where the team was already assembled to compete in the NFC, yet he failed.

I'm not going to even touch his return to the NFC West, all I will say is there was this hysterical laughter emanating from the Bay Area.

Jim Mora Jr? Seriously?! Wtf?!

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar