Coaching candidates and interviews

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Munchak's contacts are limited by his exposure only to this organization. His knowledge of and ability to draw outside assistants (with fresh perspective) would be less than than of an "outside" hire. I imagine we would retain several of the at or below average assistants (IMO) that are currently on staff. I'm sure that is a reason why hiring from within is so high on Bud's priorities.

yes- Munchak would be give a 3 year contract but I'm certain he wouldn't be let go before that were to occur. In that regard, I believe we should have just extended Fisher to 2 years like it was reported he was requesting. We're likely in the same boat with the same assistants and haven't done much to "move forward".

2. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

3. Riverman

I'm just not moved by that endorsement. Munchak is already involved with the Titans and has been for years now. Why would it be so much different as HC for Earl to want to be "more involved"? And just what does "more involved" mean? Coaching? Personal appearances? With all due respect, I don't see how Earl Campbell being "more involved" does much for the franchise.

This sounds like a PR machine that is hard at work to warm up the fans for an already decided upon Munchak. I hope I'm wrong.

4. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

Yeah, seriously. Dude rolls out looking like fred sanford acting like hes got an opinion. I respect what the dude did for the franchise back before I was born, but heck, who cares what he says today? I dont, he could endorse anyone for all I care and it wouldnt mean anything.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

My only problem with Munchak is this - if he were the O line coach of the Colts, would we seriously be considering him as a HC candidate? I highly doubt it.

I don't have a problem with hiring from the inside, because I don't believe Fisher was entirely wrong. His philosophy was probably about 75% right, it was the 25% he wouldn't acknowledge that did him in. So a complete break from Fisher isn't totally needed. I just don't know if Munch or Dinger are what I want in our next HC.

Fewell is a serious candidate. Mularkey is a serious candidate. Munch could be fine, but it feels sloppy to me. And as much as I respect Earl Campbell his comments on this situation mean nothing to me.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

So he's your TOP choice? So if you made a list of every coach you like he would be number one? Dungy, Cowher, Gruden, Greg Williams, would be below Munchak?

My main objective to Munchak is it seems the easy, convenient hire. It represents to me the front office again not opening the check book to bring in a better candidate, because hiring him would be the cheap way to go. Another response I've heard is it would supposedly bring continuity to the team, i.e. He would keep the coaching staff intact. But I guarantee he'll still want to hire his own coaching staff and will let go many of the ones that have stayed on.

7. Bayou Titan

Bayou Titan Starter

My vote is for Winston Moss... I hope he gets at least an interview.

8. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

I want Mike Mularky. Ive spent some time checking out all of our candidates and idk, Im just feeling this guy. I think he has proven over the last 3 years to be exactly who we need. He was part of a team that just went through exactly what we are going through. Franchise QB screws up and is out, new HC, yet the team prevailed and turned around quick. Not to mention what hes done with Matt Ryan, and oh BTW, We need a young QB developed as quickly as possible.

I hate to say this, but dude looks like a winner man, I look at him and I can see this guy at the podium heading into the playoffs. I am in no way an expert on the nfl or coaching, but this guy caught my eye and im on board.

I also think his philosophies will differ from fisher more-so than some of the other candidates. I new era will truly begin if hes hired.

Fewell seems like a solid guy, Im just not feeling him. I dont feel Munchak is ready to be a head coach. Of all of the vacancies at the end of this season, not one time did anyone even speculate about Munchack, and now hes the "front runner" simply because he is on staff? That dont sit right with me.

I also dont play the whole " I want an Interview" thing the GB coach is doing, I get it that he doesnt want the opportunity to pass, but heck, if your that good, they will wait for you.

Dinger has cancer, I dont know whats up with that because its like a big secret so I just dont think the timing is right.

Im glad Williams backed out, dude seems like drama. Hes carrying around his son as if he were luggage. Let the dude earn his own way for crying out loud.

Let the Mike Mularky era begin in Tennessee baby!

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I wouldn't have a problem with that whatsoever.

However, let's not sell Munchak short and label him a Fisher clone before we see what he can do. Munch has been the leader for over a decade of one of the best and most consistent O-Line units in the NFL (2010 was a let down). His O-Lines have created holes year in and year out for many pro-bowl running backs and allowed protection for some decent (and not so decent) QB's. He's found and developed value in mid-late rounds of the draft (Roos/Stewart).

His boys have faced off against Washburn's boys everyday for the past 12 years........Has he not learned any tricks or developed his own philosophy during that time? Wasn't Washburn supposed to be a genious or something? Do ya think he had a few ideas, schemes and methods that he passed on to Fish, Dinger, Cecil, Schwartz, Williams, etc that he is not credited for?

Coming off a rough season, perhaps we are too emotional and eager to point fingers, overlooking what he has contributed and can offer. Good years and bad, his crew is usually one of the best. The big question I have, is can he handle personell and be responsible for inflated egos. I don't know.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Riverman

I've also read up on the guys and Mularkey seems like the best fit of the available choices. Fewell seems like a distant second, closely followed by the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar