Clottey vs Cotto. Did you watch?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Wayne, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I wont take the time to put them in a particular order, but-

Rocky Marciano (even though he'd be garbage today)
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Mike Tyson
    Muhammad Ali
    Roy Jones Junior
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    Marvin Hagler
    and...
    Manny Pacquiao (because it wont be long before he's cemented as an all time top 10)

Now. I only like 4 of those fighters. Mayweather, Leonard, Tyson, and Roy Jones. But the rest had undeniable skill.
    My personal favorites are completely different.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Hmm. I disagree with a few of those, but there aren't any horrible choices. I would argue a few though.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Welterweights don't sell the way heavyweights do.

And heavyweights have always been dull minus Tyson? Wow, really just wow. Ali, he was boring, Foreman is dull, and Buster Douglas was a bum.

I thought you said you knew boxing. With that comment you just totally discredited yourself.

4. Deuce Wayne

I knew someone would bring up guys that haven't fought in 30 years in regards to me saying heavyweights have always been boring.

Ok. Let me rephrase: heavyweights have been boring since they started showing them in color other than Tyson.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't buy into tyson's greatness because of how hard he fell and the fact the guys he beat early on as champion were all 2nd rate heavyweights.

Trevor berbeck-pinklon thomas-tony tucker-michael spinks-carl williams not that impressive.

He lost his title to a 2nd rate guy in douglas a guy who didn't defend that title one time successfully and when tyson faced a real champion in holyfield he got schooled.

As for marciano he would be a good cruiserweight today. Same for joe louis.

Love chavez as a fighter but i believe pernell whitacker clearly out boxed him and was robbed so whitacker would get the nod over him and i honestly don't see the justification for chavez but not duran. Both had similar careers much of the way but duran moved up in weight and fought larger fighters who were great. chavez would have never fought a hagler or a hearns and we get a glimpse of what leonard would have done to him by watching his fights with de la hoya.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Overrated figters..

Tyson-Buster douglas cleaned is clock!

Jake la motta-Had a style that was difficult for sugar ray but only a 42% knockout rate in an era of tomato cans and bums! Raging bull my arse!

Carlos Monson-The master of the close 15 rd decision. Only 53% KO rate and had 9 draws! What great champion has 9 draws?

Underated fighters

Pernell whitacker-Never truly lost in his prime. Dominated chavez and got robbed. Dominated a fighter named ramirez and got cheated. Even past his prime and out of his weight class was competitive against trinidad and DLH in their prime.

Mike Mccallum-Excellent jr middleweight champion in the era of leonard-hagler-duran-hearns but never got to fight any of them. Poor management. Went on to win titles in higher weights.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

No. There's been plenty of great heavyweights other than Tyson. Obviously you don't appreciate heavyweight boxing with such an ignorant statement. Either that or you've never heard of Holyfield, Douglas, Bowe, and Lewis.

I wouldn't say Tyson is overrated because he lost one fight. Great fight though, I watch it whenever it's on ESPN Classics.

I would also add Lennox Lewis to the underrated list. Maybe I'm a homer because he was my favorite but he's never mentioned as one of the better fighters during the 90s despite a stellar record. I only wish he could have fought Tyson when Tyson was in his prime.

8. Deuce Wayne

Lennox Lewis wasn't great to me either. He was only good due to length. He was a smart fighter that just jabbed his way to victories. Never entertained anyone. A sissy that without 7 foot arms would have probably spent the fight running away from opponents.

And Tyson lost once he was mentally defeated outside the ring. In his prime there is no one that could touch him. No one even close to as dominant as he was in his prime.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Define prime. Tyson was 24 1/2 when buster douglas cleaned his clock. He was 30 when holyfield cleaned his clock when holyfield was 34. He was 31 when he bit holyfield's ear when holyfield was 35.

If you want to put a guy in your p4p top 10 maybe it should have been someone who had the character and disipline not to piss away his career at age 24 and get knocked out by a nobody.

You also missed one key factor about lennox lewis. The devastating right hand. Lewis had all the punches but that right hand was the equalizer.

10. Deuce Wayne

Mike Tyson was untouchable when he was 20. A kid. Buster Douglas was garbage. We all know that.
    Mike Tyson was already beaten by a girl before that fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar