Clottey vs Cotto. Did you watch?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Wayne, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Make your case for why duran is over rated. Go on make it.

He beat every lightweight that was for 8 years and then beat an all time great in leonard when nobody beat leonard.

He won titles spanning 5 weight classes.

A few good fighters? Esteban de jesus was in the opinion of some boxing historians a great lightweight and duran beat him 2X. Leonard, palomino, cuevas, moore, barkley all champions.

Who did hatton beat? Kostya Tszyu past his prime. Who else?

Again hatton was destroyed by a great southpaw who was actually smaller than than him. How would hatton have faired against a great southpaw 20 lbs larger than him in hagler? Duran fought hagler toe to toe for 15 rounds. Hatton would have been out in one.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

who really watches boxing anymore??? mma is taking over

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Plenty who aren't entranced by fad sports.

4. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i wasnt trying to be mean or anything to fans of boxing. it just seems that boxing is on the way out. i remember growing up that there used to be fights on every wed and friday night, you knew who the big names were and the belts they went after.

i dont watch either of them...was just a broad comment

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I would rate the division now about as good as it was before leonard and hearns became champions when the 2 major title holders were cuevas and palomino and then benitez beat palomino. Once leonard-duran-hearns started fighting for the title it was a whole new ball game.

A good example is cuevas a good fighter who won his title by a KO and then defended it 8 times all by knockouts. Then when he faced hearns he looked like a little boy looking for a place to hide. Gloat would look at a fighter like cuevas and think he was an all time great. To me cotto is a cuevas.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Fighting with clown gloves! :clown::bully:

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

clottey was robbed, other than the first round weak knock down and when he got pinned in the corner in the 5th he won easily.

although he did whine the entire fight, despite head butting cotto.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

People die from boxing matches even with those "clown gloves".

I guess you're the type of idiot to knock the NFL for wearing pads too, right?

RollTide- Duran also lost to Vinny Panzienza twice and Hector twice. Sorry- that's enough to kill a legend's status. But basically I base it on his skills or lack of...
    He's never impressed me with his actual boxing. Even when he won fights, he's always looked the part of mediocre when it comes to style and fighting.

"No mas" also kills any respect I could have ever had for the coward.

I just never can be impressed by guys that just stand and punch relying on their power alone. That's all Duran was. A puncher. Boring. Made his name beating nobodies. The Antonio Margarito of the past. Sure... he can punch, but he can't box. So he's lucky back then the only guys with speed were few and far between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWei_1rSssE&feature=related

^this was when boxing was at it's peak- but notice how completely boring and unimpressive both fighters are when compared to the speed and strength of fighters today. Roy Jones Jr would have never lost to these guys. That's for certain.
    For Hearns to even be able to completely open himself up and fight this way shows just how bad Duran was. (or...just how he wasn't as good as people thought). You simply can't fight like that today. You'll get KTFO.

Anyway, and watching this makes me think Paul Williams is equal or better than Hearns.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I was just messing with ya cause I remember saying that in another boxing thread and it bothered ya.

It's cool, I used to enjoy boxing but now that I'm hooked on MMA boxing just isn't very entertaining. I don't know if its the lack of top fighters, or the overall corruption that has plagued the sport, or just that watching minutes of covering up, hugging, and throwing punches isn't as excited as knockouts, kicks, flying knees and some of the other things that happen in MMA.

Oh and I will say I think boxing is actually more dangerous to a person than MMA. at least in MMA the knockouts are quick.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

That and the refs usually call it before a guy is seriously hurt. That's one thing I wish they'd fix. Let a guy fight out of being stunned, and break up the hugging on the floor. If MMA was more striking and less bromancing, I could get in to it more.
    But the only guys in it that I really think have talent are George St. Pierre, Rampage, and a couple others. The rest just look like average joes that got drunk and took up a bet from their buddies to get in a cage and 'duke it' with some other random country boy. Forest Griffin for instance. Could he be any more mediocre? Yet he's tough... and is somehow good in MMA bouts. Just isn't right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar