Climer thinks QB battle is a sham

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

What a massive load of wrong here.

First of all, those Washington teams were TERRIBLE. Locker took a god awful team, put it on his back, and took it to back to back bowl games. In spite of the fact that he had a god-awful line that kept him perpetually on the run, and terrible receivers who could not get open, and dropped balls constantly, he posted completion percentages north of 55% his junior and senior seasons. He led his team on a number of wins against VASTLY more talented teams (USC, Nebraska).

And secondly, assuming you are right, and Locker is a bust waiting to happen, wouldn't you just as soon find that out NOW instead of two years from now, so we can replace him?

Whatever your opinion of Jake and his potential or lack thereof, it is time to find out what we've got.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

There is no evidence of this in the article posted by the OP though. If Hass beats Locker out in TC, then fine. But the article is just speculating based on the schedule and who started more games. If that is what we base being the starter on, then Hass will be the starter until he retires (Which I think some fans want)

So you are saying that pulling Vince out of games because he was struggling isn't hiding him? We never pulled KFC in the middle of the game because he was struggling. You just don't pull a QB unless he is either injuried, or you are hiding him.

I would much rather have a QB that completes 50% of his passes, but is able to move the ball down the field than a QB that completes 60% of his passes 4 yds at a time.

Hass completed 61% of his passes with an average of 6.9 yds/pass (including incompletions)

Locker completed 51% of his passes with an average of 8.2 yds/pass

Keep in mind that this includes incompletions, so even with the lower comp % Locker was still able to have a higher average than Hass.

This is because Locker is able to move the ball. Hass isn't. It isn't to hard to have a high completion % when you are throwing 8 yards on 3rd and 10 every drive. Defenses will give that up all day long. A high comp % is pretty worthless if you aren't picking up 1sts and moving the ball down the field.

Newton had ZERO attempts before he was named starter ... he set a record for yards thrown as a rookie (more yards than Hass even).

Dalton had ZERO attempts before he was named starter ... he led his team to the playoffs.

All you have to do is give Jake a chance.

I don't know where the notion that Hass is some great QB came from. He was middle of the pack in nearly every category last year, and looked pretty terrible at times last year ... and that was his best season for the last few years. We will be lucky to get that again. Probably we will get worse

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Aaron Rodgers.

There are different philosophies on how to best develop a quarterback. There is no one right way to do it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. lee7786

lee7786 Practice Squad

Aaron Rodgers only sat because Brett Favre was in front of him. Matt Hasselbeck is not Brett Favre. Matt Hasselbeck will not take this team to the playoffs (actually it would be a losing season). Is that not enough reason to start the 8th overall pick?

5. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Better than Moon huh? You are crazy. If he has a better career than Steve, I will be surprised. But pass Warren? No, that is not happening. If it does I will be thrilled, but you are going a bit overboard with very little reason too . . .

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Thaddeus43

Last I checked Hass isn't destined for the HoF.

7. amy

amy Starter

So do I. We saw last season what happens when you make a rookie the starting qb. Name one team with a rookie qb that did any better than mediocre last season. I'm assuming, like you, that the coaches understand how important it is to win the first five games. If you have a rookie qb in the game, there is no telling what will happen. I suppose some are not afraid to gamble, but the coaching staff and the owner are looking to a playoff spot and using a rookie when you have a seasoned vet is not the way to go in order to accomplish that when the vet is throwing well. As you said, it's more than 50-50 that Locker will see some playing time this season. Until then, let the vet do his job. If it appears he can't, then let the kid run the show. We're looking for wins and the vet does give us the best chance to get them. jmo

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Exactly. And perhaps, just MAYBE, Locker would have had a better completion percentage if he was the starter, and actually got to PRACTICE with the first team, instead of being thrown in whenever hass pulls a labia.

Oh, and here are some rookie year completion percentages for you to mull over...

Peyton Manning - 56%
    Eli Manning - 48%
    Drew Brees - 55%
    Phillip Rivers - 54%

9. Thaddeus43

No rookie did better than mediocre last season ... what the heck do you think Hass did last year?

Matt Hasselbeck - 3571 yds/18 TDs/14 ints/82.4 QBR/ 9-7 record
    Andy Dalton - 3398 yds/20 TDs/13 ints/80.4 QBR/9-7 record

Looks to me our veteran Hass did no better than the mediocre rookie ...

He will not take us to the POs this year. He couldn't beat the freaking colts with the POs on the line. Then he nearly lost to the Texans (2nd/3rd string) with the POs on the line. He also lost to the mediocre Bengals (with their mediocre rookie QB) with major playoff implications on the line.

WHAT DID HASS DO LAST YEAR THAT MAKES PEOPLE THINK HE CAN TAKE US TO THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

this thread=100% assumptions

atleast wait until preaseason to present some of your misguided opinions as fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar