CJ video ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bluewaterpirate, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Cool. But you still bash Chris Johnson (have in other threads)while hyping Slaton (this thread). Makes little sense.

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

No RT, thats not what I ment. What I was trying to make clear is that the concensus from all these expert mockdrafts(not just one), including the big names, had him ranked as the 5th best RB, those senior guys had him ranked as the 5th.

Again, again I say to you: I don't believe they are idiots. Nowhere in any post i've ever made on this forum has me inferring they are idiots. They've picked busts before. But they have picked hella a good player in their day too.

Fisher had his hand on all of these, Steve, Eddie, Jevon, Bulluck, Thorton, Haynesworth, VY, Roos, Stewart, and many more. He's also had Dyson (poor guy... to injury prone), Troupe, Calico, Woolfolk. He isn't flawless, but just because you make a mistake before, doesn't mean you will make a mistake every time. I'm not trying to infer that the FO is inept, but they have clearly made mistakes, and as most will agree, Chris Henry hasn't done much for us.

I'm glad Fisher is taking initiative though in getting Chris Johnson. Fisher tends to have alot of loyalty to players even after they prove inept. we didn't replace Lamont for 2 years after he started to suck. We didn't even bench freakin Dainan Sidney way back when. I applaud the FO by practically admitting they made a mistake on a pick(though they'll never come out and say it). Shows that they are actually trying to improve, rather than stick a square peg through a round hole.

Anyway, It doesn't matter what the ranking of the player if all the other Rbs are taken.

If you have a DE,QB,S,OT,RB ranked 1-5 accordingly, and your the first team to pick. You already have a good QB,S,OL,and a DE... but you need a RB. Your not going to take the others, no matter how high they are ranked. You won't see the Bengals draft Matt Ryan, nor the Patriots draft a WR with the first pick. You draft what you want/need... not based solely off of ranking.

The team obviously wanted a RB. 4 were taken, if the drop off isn't significant from the last guy, and you draft something else, you have 31 teams ahead of you to pick that guy(barring a trade, which takes 2 willing participants, not just one). It simply isn't smart.

Anyway, we drafted the concensus 5th best RB, and he was the 5th RB to come off the boards. We drafted the 8th or 9th best DE, and he was the 8th DE to come off the board

Clearly, the Titans look at value too. (exception for Mr. William Hayes)

3. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Taken from the great Woodvegas at Titanscentral, here's a breakdown of our picks by pick. Thread is here

"I calculated the average “positional ranking” for each draftee using the following sources: NFL Draft Scout, Mel Kiper, Frank Coyle/Draft Insiders, Mike Detillier/M & D Draft Report, Pro Football Weekly, ESPN/Scouts Inc., and Sports Illustrated and compared it to the players actual position in the draft. This is what I came up with:

Chris Johnson: Average RB ranking=5.7 (range=4-9, n=7)

Actual draft position=5th RB drafted

Jason Jones: Average DE ranking=9.3 (range=7-12, n=7)

Actual draft position=8th DE drafted

Craig Stevens: Average TE ranking=7.3 (range=5-9, n=7)

Actual draft position=6th TE drafted

William Hayes: Average DE ranking=44.2 (range=22-66, n=4)

Actual draft position=14th DE drafted

Lavelle Hawkins: Average WR ranking=15.4 (range=8-21, n=7)

Actual draft position=19th WR drafted

Stanford Kegler: Average OLB ranking=11.7 (range=6-19, n=7)

Actual draft position=8th OLB drafted

Cary Williams: Average CB ranking=29.0 (range=28-31, n=3)

Actual draft position=29th CB drafted

There is usually more than one way to interpret data but this is what it tells me:

I believe our primary strategy was to draft for perceived need at a position and that, with the exception of Hayes, we pretty much took the best player left on anybody’s board at that position when our turn came around. Chris Johnson was presumably also the top ranked offensive playmaker on the Titans board regardless of position when we picked in the first round. "

-------------------

4. Nine

Nine Starter

So RT...these basis for your anti-CJ bias is simply that the Titans went RB at #24 and DE in #54 instead of the other way around?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nine yes i didn't want us to draft a RB at all in the first 2 rounds. The guy i wanted us to draft was tashard choice who didn't go until pick 122. There was so much value on defense in rd one at several positions that was the time to go on that side of the ball. Corners like jenkins and cason, Merling, balmer and the best safety in the whole damn draft in phillips.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Alpha your thinking is backassward. So if we need a RB we are then compelled to take him if he is the highest back on the board regardless pf who else is there? Just blindly draft by position? And who in the hell wants to use a first rd pick on the 5th best back anyway?

We had a need at DE and the 4th ranked DE was there. Why not him? The 3rd best DT was there why not him? We have a starting CB who is 34 years old and pacman is gone so why not the third or 4th best CB?

We had more need at several positions than at RB. We have a RB who gave us 1110 yards for crying out loud all we needed to do was to replace chris brown.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher had little power in the beginning..

Not true. Fisher didn't even hire his own coaching staff or have final say about final cuts. He supposedly wanted us to draft kevin carter in 95 instead of mcnair. I would give fisher's imput at maybe 20% his first 5-6 years. It's closer to 50% now.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

Fair enough. Clear, concise.....well stated. I'm sure more than a couple guys in the Titans' war room felt the same way.

Reinfeldt and Fisher apparently felt differently....and not without reason. They've stated very clearly that their first priority this offseason was acquiring playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. They were unable to do this via free agency or trade...the draft was the only option left.

If it makes you feel any better, Bears fans shared your sentiments after they drafted Devin Hester. I think most of them have changed their minds.

9. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

You forgot the part that i wrote

You would be very correct if thats what I ment.

Who wants to draft the 5th best RB? if the 5th best is almost as good as the 4th best, why not? You might be picking the 9th back to be taken, if you wait another round.

Again, there is nothing I would base on merely one aspect of the draft. Not only need, but value. Apparently so does the orginization. The whole difference is, what you see as the team's needs, vs what someone else sees as the team's need

I believe we needed a DE,WR,RB,CB, as our need. We drafted all 4 of those, and people will note that we took a WR in the 4th. If you look individually, you'll see that the person is Lavelle Hawkins, who every analyst seems to love. If we drafted him 2 rounds earlier, as the 2nd round pick, everyone would be happy. It would show it had priority.

Like I said in a previous post, it doesn't even seem like people are mad about the players we got... just the order that we got em... which is extremely stupid. So your opinion, you might think my reasoning is bassackwards, but I'm leaning towards yours being a little narrow-minded.

10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

ok, well its all good... I still don't think he's an idiot :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar