1. Please keep all draft-related topics in the NFL Draft Forum area.

CJ is the 'Rob Deer' of the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Dec 29, 2013.

Is Chris Johnson the right type of RB to build our run game around.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Straight Ridah

I am sure very few will get the "Rob Deer" reference as most of you probably have no idea who he is. Anyone who gets the reference before I explain it gets a high five from me.

Rob Deer was a pro baseball player who had a terrible average, got tons of strikeouts but hit a ton lot of home runs.

Link to Rob Deer stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/deerro01.shtml

I think most should now be able to understand the comparison. :cj: may get a lot of yards and TDs however he has a low average per carry. For a 'Star' RB :cj: has an alarmingly high number of short and negative carries which contribute to a lot of 3 and outs for the offense. Yet he is still able to rip off a long TD run from time to time.

The Key Question:

Is :cj: the right RB to build a run game around?

I would say no given how this offense has been run. However, I think :cj: could be more productive in a more pass oriented offense. For a conservative run game we need a more consistent RB.
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE All-Pro Tip Jar Donor

No.

CJ is the last guy you want to build around.

Hes a great complement back tho.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

He is the right back for us to build around. He has game breaking potential. He is a player that coaches need to game plan around. We don't have any other players like that. I don't want to pay him 8 but if we cut him we still pay a large amount against the cap. If we can use him better ala Charles and McCoy he can be elite again. Just don't think u cut someone with that potential unless you have a solid backup plan, we don't. A late round pick is too risky
  4. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Starter

That's great, but is he still the home run threat? Two 100 yd games this season.
    • High Five High Five x 7
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow CEO of PPO Tip Jar Donor

CJ sucks and anyone who disagrees is wrong
    • High Five High Five x 4
  6. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Starter

CJ is good and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Well that was easy.
  7. LosingBy3

LosingBy3 Starter

CJ's performance is the titans past 5 seasons in a nutshell, there's a small spark of former greatness there, but not enough to win. He's the personification of the late fisher/munchak years.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Starter

Poetic and accurate. Consider me a fan.
  9. LosingBy3

LosingBy3 Starter

And things like dat.
    • High Five High Five x 5
  10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Starter

:cj: