Chris Brown wants to be traded ?!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HurricaneTitans, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fltitan

fltitan Guest

This could be just more about getting an offer or better offer if the $10mil extension is for real but if thats the case they dont know Reese very well. Brown needs to sign a contract extension this year in case he were to have more of the continuing injury problems or Henry or White were to have a big year. If either were to happen he would probably not be resigned by the Titans and wouldnt have a lot of value as a FA. His agent his doing the best thing for his client by trying to get a better extension or a trade that would allow them get a new long term contract this year. I dont think we can get anywhere near the value for him we would want, NO is still trying to trade Bennett and havent been able to get a decent offer from him. I think Brown stays and if healthy plays hard has a big year and signs an extension with the Titans mid season and if not he becomes a FA and signs with someone else.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yea no way we give the Colts or Houston "a solid weapon" to make us look silly 2 times a year.

On the other hand Brown isn't a good enough weapon for us to beat those teams twice a year?

Also, the only problem Brown has when he is on the field is his running style doesn't bode well in short yardage where you want a guy who can get low and power for the first down or TD. That is why we have White. There have been alot of good backs, some HOFers that had power backs on their team carry the load in short yardage situations. Thats is part of the reason you carry a fullback or a backup RB.

I agree with Riverman, I'd like to see Brown and White as our tandem.

By the way, what assurance do we have that White will be anymore durable or even that good at this level. Anyone remember a guy years ago who was a can't miss college RB who had speed, power and better attributes than White but never amounted to much of anything in the NFL and not because of injury? Curtis Enis was the 5th player taken in the draft.
    How about Ron Dayne? I'm not saying White will not be a decent NFL back but he may not be top 15 material and until he proves he can be the next EG we need to be cautious.

IMO Brown has confidence in his ability and neither White nor Henry scare him except that they could reduce his carries significantly. If he had a decent YPC but wasn't able to get over 200 carries his future contract would be reduced. Also IMO Brown might be better off slitting carries which will help him stay healthy.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

When did the mentality begin that a player can't prove their worth on the field without having ideal conditions in which to perform?

We saw Eddie crush his legacy by taking $1 mil more to go to what he thought was a better situation.

Now we have Brown who knows he'll have to work to get carries and it'll be behind an OL which doesn't have a lot of experience together. The same OL, btw, which both Henry and White will have to run behind.

Apparently, the Titans #1 RB DOES have a confidence issue.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

this could also just be simple postering by his agent
    same thing happened with Billy

I DOn't forsee much from this

unles guys LIKE :
    DeAngelo Hall (ATL - DB)
    Darren Sharper (MIN - S)
    Champ Bailey (DEN - DB)
    Philip Buchanon (HOU - DB)
    Dunta Robinson (HOU - DB)

are in the mix......

5. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

I wish we could trade Henry away....Then it would just be Brown and White....The way it's meant to be...

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Confidence issues? Not likely, Brown is in his contract year, and not only have the team brought in marque names at his position the past 2 years, they've obsviously also refused to give him a long term contract; I would want to be traded while I still had some value coming off a good season, rather than after a season of possibly sitting on the bench behind Lendale White. It's called common sense.

And I didn't mean to imply that Chris Brown is as good as Tiki, Shaun or LT, however his fumbles pr. attempts are not as bad as some try make it out to be (especially if you only look at the 2 first seasons as a starter for the RB's). And Brown has had considerably less help from his O-line.

In my mind it's just plain stupid to "give up" on a player with so much potential after just 2 seasons, behind a horrible O-line.

Also, a 3 year deal for $10mill could be anything from a good contract to an insult, depending on it's structure, guaranteed money, etc.

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

A speedster like Brown with the Colt's O-line and his ability to catch balls out the back field would make him a threat in Indi. Houston I do not see much of a difference. They are trying to improve the O-line but are not really close to where they could open the holes Brown requires.

White does not have the pressure of being a #1 draft pick. He does not even have the pressure of being a high #2. If he does not perform well people will be saying "that is the reason he was taken so late". In the end White has no where to go but up. He was suppose to be a top 16 pick then gets dropped to 45 over all. That is a HUGE drop in ranking.

Our draft this year revolved around getting us a new QB. The RB was an unexpected bonus. I think if anyone can grab him by the reigns it would be his old coach Chow. White is in an ideal situation for himself, familiar coach and offense scheme, not expected to be the #1 at the beginning of the season. If he pulls down even 700 yards this season he still meets the typical 45 overall RB choice.

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Brown is a likable guy but, let's face it, with three solid backs battling for a spot someone has got to go. Though I would prefer to see Henry go instead, I still think our future lies with White and I'm not really to disapointed that Brown wants to go.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I'd hardly call last year a "good" year for Chris

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was being sarcastic with my confidence comment but there is a reason the Titans brought in Henry and drafted White. It's because Brown cannot be relied on and most teams need two RBs.

Also, why give a new contract to someone already under contract unless you feel they are a long-term solution? The Titans have no reason to do it.

You call Brown's season last year good? If he is beaten out by White, then he doesn't deserve a big contract in Tennessee or anywhere else.

Brown needs to perform and everything else will work itself out.

As far as I know, Brown is the Titans #1 RB. How is that giving up on him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar