Chow thinks Schwartz is terrible too

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Brian, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Hopefully this was the last year we're discussing those two from any view other than ST and backup depth

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i know, i was being sarcastic. all the schwartz followers use these millions of excuses like he had too many injuries, we dont have a pass rush, we dont have the corners. well, we have a perfectly healthy defense with three or four pro bowlers in 2002 and 2003 and they were nothing but an above average, rush four drop seven zone.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

My point exactly. Without a pass rush you just expose your secondary even worse. We didn't have the quality to leave people isolated like that, nor did we have anyone except KVB that could apply pressure. If we can get a quality RDE improvements would be immediate. My only real complaint about Swartz is his rush 3 scheme. That has proven to be a complete bust. I can't comment about his decision to play LT and Hill, because I don't know if that is Fisher's call or not. I don't believe LT is capable of improvement, but Hill made the same mistakes all year long, never looking back for the ball. You really have to wonder what the coaches do all week.

4. Brian

Brian Big Fan

If we needed a stud DE, then why did we draft a shutdown CB like Pacman Jones last year? Why not just leave Andre Woolfolk out there to catch deflected passes all day long? Or do we need impact players at every position to make this defense work consistantly?

I guess that's the problem.....a passive defensive scheme needs more top end players to be effective than an aggressive scheme does.....and our DC is so sesure in his job that he's unwilling to adjust his.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You guys know those superbowl winners from last year? The Steelers? Remember how aggressive their defense was? Now tell me they have so much more talent then our defense...
    Their cornerbacks were no better than ours, and their safety was Chris Hope to play deep. So why don't we have the personnel?

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

A lot of that is Fisher. He firmly believes that few teams can drive the ball 80 yards. He uses the style of defense to make an O have 12-15 plays. The only problem with that has been LT. When you play that way, you are never supposed to give up the kind of stuff he does. I honestly believe we could plug in a stud DE and Safety and finish mid pack in defense with just those two changes.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If he truly belives that, then he is dumber than he looks. You wan't to get your defence off the field as quick as possible, otherwise they wear down and won't stop anything in the last stage of the game.

8. First off, a 3-4 defense can blitz and still only send 4 pass rushers. A blitz for them isn't necessarily numerically any different than a base 4-3 for us in terms of the number of pass rushers. Plus, they can come from any direction.

Secondly, I'd say they had a far superior front 7 capable of pressuring the QB, which allowed them to be far more effective at blitzing than we would be.

As far as the secondary, let's say Pacman balances off with Ike Taylor. Clearly Chris Hope balances out with... himself. Reynaldo is a weaker link at CB than the Steelers had. And Lamont Thompson versus Polamalu? Hmmm, let me think who wins that one... :hmm:

9. Fisher backed off the 46 in 1998 because we didn't have the right personnel to run it. It's not at all true that having less talent means you are going to be more successful playing aggressive D.

The next year, they basically added Kearse and move Rolle into the starting lineup. That was all they needed to play the 46 successfully: a stud pass rusher and a shutdown CB (plus a good #2 in Denard Walker).

IF we added a stud pass rusher at DE, we might be able to play aggressively with success. But until we get that, or some realistic upgrades, we just can't do it and expect to be successful.

10. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Maybe not, but with the worst D in the league it might be something a good coach would be interested in exploring.

And besides when you've got guys like Bulluck, Thornton, Jones, Hope, Haynesworth, Starks, Smith, and KVB claiming to lack talent is stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar