Chow Praises Young as He Continues to Improve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Before the NFL Draft, Titans Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow pulled for his team to take Matt Leinart. But after two minicamps, Chow knows Young a lot better and likes what he sees. "The strides have been monumental," Chow said. "He is every bit the athlete you thought he was, but he has some good quarterback skills as well. The thing about Vince is he's not an athlete playing quarterback. He is a quarterback who is a good athlete. There is a big difference." Young has already pushed ahead of Matt Mauck as the backup behind Billy Volek. At this point, the Titans only expect to see improvement. "He is throwing much better in the pocket," Coach Jeff Fisher said. "He is making instinctive throws down the field, back shoulder, away from the coverage and so on. We have seen steady improvement and we expect to continue to see that." Young is putting in extra time both on the field and in the classroom. Fisher has hinted Young may even start a preseason game.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Young number two on depth chart. Lots of teams went with two QBs last season. So long MM, well after training camp that is.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if this isn't just a confidence booster for Young or if Mauck is that bad. It certainly looks like the Titans won't consider bringing in a QB.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Did you expect Mauck to stay ahead of Young all offseason and into preseason? I didn't.

Hope the need for a vet never arises.

5. TitanJeff

Yes, I expected the Titans to keep Young at #3 at least until after training camp/preseason for two reasons. First, it takes all the pressure off him. Second, it keeps options open to bring in a vet if the preseason shows Young isn't ready.

No way Young could lead the team if Volek went down. So why make him the #2?

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I'm not sure I agree with making him the #2 already unless they thought he needed a confidence booster, but who knows, maybe they do feel he is ready to step in if Volek goes down. I kind of doubt it, but they're the coaches.

One thing this says for sure, Matt Mauck sucks. Wonder how things are going for the Texas Tech kid?

7. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

You said you doubted VY could lead the Titans...well how would mauck fair leading us???

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I doubt Young is ready by week one, I'm pretty sure Mauck will never be ready.

9. TitanJeff

At least Mauck has more than two weeks of mini-camp under his belt. Do you honestly think Young knows more than 25% of the offense right now?

If Mauck or Young have to lead the Titans, they're in deep trouble early in the season.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think Mauck has been that bad and I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in some competition for the #3 spot. If someone gets cut that looks to have more potential than Mauck I think they consider the switch. By opening day Young should have enough of the offense digested to play as well as Mauck anyway IMO so if Volek goes down Young might as well play even if he isn't quite ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar