Chow Feeling Pressure to Live Up to Expectations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Who was better than McNair? Most teams are only as good on offense as their QB play.

It's a chicken or egg debate. Did the Titans not utilize their talent due to their not being enough of it to begin with? Did Kinney have a great season because he is a top TE or that teams played deep with 14-point leads and allowed him to catch all the short stuff he wanted?

I agree with you on Troupe. He started out the season looking to be ready to break out. Chow and the Titans should have found a way to get the ball in his hands more. But Troupe also did some really boneheaded things such as spike a live football and disappeared for stretches during games. Still, you have to get your playmakers the ball.

I also agree with you on the OL. I think it is a much bigger concern right now than Volek at QB. If I am the Titans, I drop Piller and move Bell inside and give the RT spot to Stewart. With the exception of Mawae, you'd have a core group who would gain experience this season and be much more improved in '07 when Young is ready to take the field.

Once the Titans knew they'd get a top QB in the draft, they understood the timing was right to make the change.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nice summary.

3. fltitan

fltitan Guest

Excellent observation on the oline Jeff maybe Pillar and Olsen will be motivated having these young guys push them. If not I totally agree get the young guys in there and get ready for VY. If Pillar and Olsen dont play much better the younger guys wont be any drop off at all and at least they will be getting much needed experience as you said.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I wrote in another post that we should have moved up a few spots in the draft and drafted Gilles after he slipped into the late 3rd round. He would have been great value and would have made Pillar expendable. Instead we did very little to improve our OL but we do get to see how well Lowry and Nande do on STs going down on punts.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

not bad...

Any argument is debatable, but I think we all agree the problem starts with the O-line. With a porous O-line, you can' really through downfield. You can't run either so that limits play-action effectiveness. Add in a bad defense giving up a ton of points and you have the recipe for a bad record.

As TJ said, teams with a lead are gonna force us to run or throw underneath...one of the main reasons our TE's caught so many balls.

If you think McNair threw in the towel, that's your perogative. I don't agree but that's neither here nor there.

I think everyone on the team got frustrated because we couldn't get a lot done on offense with a poor O-line wrecking our running game and disrupting the passing game. I think McNair was also not comfortable in the offense which is why sometimes he was late or couldn't find anyone open sometimes. Add in his lack of practice due to injury and you don't have a great recipe for your QB...best weapon or not.

There is blame to be found all around, but the defense is where the towel was REALLY thrown in. We surrendered 8 100 yard rushers?!?!?!? That wasn't even a nightmare you could imagine in our hey day on defense. What's worse is we couldn't tackle...and tackling is about one thing...heart. By the time you get to the pros, you know how to tackle....even the QB's, PK's and P's know how to tackle. One of the easiest ways to tell a good D from a bad one is the tackling.

And BTW, if the FO already knew McNair was gonna be out, why didn't they trade him before, during, or right after the draft? If they weren't gonna keep him...they could have easily forseen what would happen locking McNair out and getting less value for him considering they showed everyone there hand. Either they didn't know it at the time...or they played that as poorly as you can!

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I don't think the Titans (nor several teams) want Gilles as he's huge and relatively immobile. Most teams - Titans included - are going the other direction...wanting smaller and quicker OL.

But I agree that we had opportunities to get some OL help and Reese chose not to...again.

Gut

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As much as I would love a road grater at G, Munch is asking our Gs now to lose weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar