Chow Feeling Pressure to Live Up to Expectations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The scary thing was McNair was the best offensive player the Titans had anyway.

When McNair was on the fence about returning after the sternum surgery, I bet Fisher & Co stressed the offense would be designed around keeping him healthy just to get him to stay after the team purged the roster.

McNair was never very accurate. Often times it was due to injury but hitting a receiver in stride was rare for a long time. He improved his MVP season but never was as consistent as what you would think Chow would need for a short, timing offense. It just wasn't a good fit, IMO.

I don't buy into this. I think McNair was never one with the best work habits and would never be accused of being a student of the game but I did see him work with the rookie WRs a few times after training camp sessions. Where I think the problems arose was when McNair wasn't practicing during the season at all due to his injuries. And the rookie WRs were hurt as well.

"Brat vet"? I don't think McNair ever pouted. When he had receivers clearly not running the right route or making reads, he never pointed a finger. He had defenders in his face with a three-step drop and he never complained the OL was pathetic at times last season.

When he missed practice, it was due to his own injuries. As to his poor play, he was still the best offensive player on the field for the Titans last season which shows how much the Titans offense relied on McNair year after year.

I clearly think he lost a step but I'm not going to place total blame on McNair when he had limited talent/experience around him, no running game and a defense who couldn't keep him in the offensive game plan.

Just about every player -- past, present and future -- talks about how McNair made their game better because they wanted to play hard for a guy who put it on the line each game. I think McNair could have done a better job when the team needed him to step up and lead during the week but I think you've gone to the extreme here in blaming him for a lot which was beyond his control.

2. Sledge

Sledge Guest

airhead was the biggest waster of timeouts... he screwed up the rams game cuz he wasted a timeout early in the 2nd half...

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree TJ. We're seeing alot of "blame the guy who has left" going on with the Chow/McNair remarks. Truth is Fisher is the HC, Chow is the OC and McNair was the QB. The hierarchy of responsibility is obvious.

Come on posters- don't make Steve the whippin' boy. We've got better and healthier offensive personnel this year. Let's just see what Fisher and Chow can do with them.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

Everything I wanted to say...but you said it better....and shorter!!!

Gut:)

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Mac isn't the whipping boy, Schwartz is. Where was this article 4 years ago about Schwartz? I'm still waiting for the axe, because he has been the demise of the Titans and will ultimately be the chair that was pulled out from under Jeff Fisher. I hate skirt-wearing Defensive Coordinators, and I cannot stand watching the Titans play Defense anymore. It's like watching my girlfriend getting bent over right in front of me.:sad2:

6. smili

smili Starter

Jeff - Have you heard any comments that they're going to try to get into a more downfield passing game this year? I think Billy is a poor dink/dunk type passer too - but a good downfield passer. Can you scrap a ton of the playbook an rebuild it around Billy?

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Volek better learn to dump it sometimes. He gets hurt holding onto the ball waiting for the WRs to get downfield.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if they'll try to be any more a downfield passing team than they were last year. I think we have to consider that the combination of teams pulling back their safeties to protect big leads and no Titans WR able to stretch the field played more into the reason the Titans didn't hit as many deep balls last season. McNair was forced to check down.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

As one who spent much of last week defending those criticizing Mac, I've got to change my tune here. Those last few were way too hard on him. He may not have practiced much, but the team genuinely wanted to play for him, and he was a great leader in that sense. I'd never compare him to Manning or a "spoiled brat". I think we'll be better off with him gone so we can move forward, but I won't criticize him that much.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would say it is debatable to say Mac was or wasn't the best offensive player we had last year. No way we utilized the talent we had. IMO we will find out the WRs we drafted were a great bunch and will all have solid NFL careers. Troupe is one of the better TEs as is Kinney. Look up their stats and you will see they are better than any other tandem of TEs in the NFL. The RBs were not as bad as the stats appeared. The brunt of the blame should go to the OL and not the skill players around Mac IMO. Mostly I thought Mac didn't take advantage of what he had to work with, threw in the towel and essentially gave up. The FO knew the situation and had already made their mind up they didn't want Mac back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar