Chow Feeling Pressure to Live Up to Expectations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Due to his success at the college level, most had high expectations of Norm Chow when he took the Titans offensive coordinators job a year ago. However, the Titans offense was short on playmakers and the running game was often abandoned early. Chow understands that improvement will have to be made heading into the '06 season. "I know I have to do a better job," Chow says. "I know we have to win more games. We're all under pressure. I understand the situation." Chow admitted that Steve McNair didn't always embrace his ideas last season. "In the NFL, you have veterans that are very set in their ways — not that it's the right way or the wrong way," Chow said. "It's just different than what I was used to. Steve didn't fight some of my ideas, but you could see that he had a certain way that he was going to do things. He was a veteran. He deserved the right to do things his way."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Didn't Mac do the same thing with Dinger? I hope he does the same with Fassel.

3. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

Well Mcnair's way didnt work so lets get it fixed , i think Chow will do alot better if Fisher would let him run the O , last season Chow had to game plan around Mcnair and keep him from getting hurt which is ok to a point i guess. but we had no running game , the dink and dunk passes were a joke , we got short in numbers at wide out . this year it looks like we have the players to let Norm open it up. so i say let r rip , what have we got to lose.

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Chow had to work with one hand tied behind his back last year. With a different QB, more weapons, and hopefully more freedom to implement his plan, I hope we'll see a more dynamic offense this year.

5. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

i agree , the only problem is all the things i have read in the media is that Fisher wants to return to the old ways of running the ball . and im not so sure Brown can handle this kind of load. but hey , if it works im all for it.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

we have Brown, Henry and White. If they cannot handle it then we got issues.

7. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i think you'll see JF let chow open it all up this year....

8. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

At one time or another past seaon, most every Titans fan had doubts about the Chow influence and whether Chow could get it done as the OC. In reality, he was hand-cuffed by an aging and fragiile QB, who frankly did not put in the time with his WRs corps or invested much in imporving his play within the Titans offense. McNair failed to find open WRs downfield and chacked down to the tight end increasingly as the season wore on. That reality will infuriate many Steve McNair fans, but the truth often hurts.

We should see a different version of the Chow influence on the Titans offense this season. The two QBs are much different than what Chow had to work with last season. With the emergence of VY, there may not be such an emphasis on the 3 step drop and read. You may see Chow go back to 5 and 7 step drops with more regularity now that he will be working with a QB who sees downfield a biit better and is not afraid to throwthe deep ball. In VY, he would have a QB who could use the deeper drops to create running alleys in the defense.

It is my feeling that we will see the same offense with some added wrinkles operated at a different level this season.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I really think this was a combination of things. Expectations were too high that Chow could make the transition to the pro game and be as successful as he was at USC. He's admitted it was a much tougher challenge than originally expected.

His style of offense can only work if the Titans keep games close. Few teams are effective passing the football when opponents have 14 point leads and can pull back their safeties to guard against the deep stuff. Add to that the Titans lacked speed and/or experience on the outside.

I think he'll be much more effective this season.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Mac and Chow didn't see eye to eye eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar