Chiefs & Titans Success? It's "Fisherball"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I am. And it is.

Fisher occasionally went for it on 4th down and took shots. It just isn't the norm.

How many shots has Loggains taken when the game was close? Very few. The Titans were up big when they took that shot last week so risk was minimal.

My thought of this must be very different than yours because I don't feel negative at all about Fisherball and it's exactly what this team played from 99-03 in its purest form.

In your mind, when did the Titans play "Fisherball"?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think I just define it very differently. Fisherball is prevent D when you have a huge lead. I don't see that this year. Fisherball is scared to run real offensive plays with a lead, instead just run out the clock and punt. I don't see that this year. ​
    To me, the Fisherball era was basically the VY era from 06-10. That is when we really seemed to take a power run philosophy to the most ultra conservative form possible. ​
    You are defining Fisherball as power run football, but I prefer to make the distinction that Fisherball is more of a facet of the power-run philosophy... a real real bad facet where it's taken to the extreme.​

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

To me it was ball control and power running. And do not give up on the run. Hammering it over and over. Those 2-4 yard gains in the first quarter turn to 5-10 yard gains in the fourth when the opposing D is tired. It is also about playing for the FG and there is nothing wrong with having to punt.

4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I think what you're arguing is that Fisherball is more of a minset rather than an actual offensive philosophy. If I understand you correctly the fact that it was a power run offense isn't what defined fisherball but rather the hyper-conservative almost fearful mindset we seemed to play with.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Understood.

From '06 to '10, the Titans were 45-35 with two playoff appearances. That ain't too shabby. But the Titans should have taken the next step after the 13-3 season in '08 and didn't.

Was it because of "Fisherball" or Fisher's decision to not start Young in '09? Do you fault him for running CJ with the success he had? '10 was a disaster but a lot of that was due to how bad Young played (which eventually led to the meltdown) and the defense.

Maybe using the term "Fisherball" isn't right. The point remains, the style of football the Titans and Chiefs are playing now is much more conservative than what we're seeing across the NFL and they're both seeing success with it.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Agreed and if either team were to win the Superbowl other teams would follow. It's a copycat league.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

once the footsuckers knocked JL out of the game it became the booringest 4 score lead game I have ever sat thru.

only kinda sorta relative so carry on...

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

We really weren't that great despite winning 13 games. I remember being at the Packers game and never having felt so dissatisfied after win. We barely strung 2 good drives together all game and stuttered to a victory. It felt bitter sweet.

We'd beaten the Packers who were a hot team but I wasn't convinced. The long clock eating drives we've had in the last few games have been have been real 'whoa we have a team here' moments for me.

9. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I'm not even going to read that.. I reject your reality.

10. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I wasn't referring to this season. Namely, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar