Chargers: "Game is on" for Turner

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by CRUDS, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

From SI

"Now the bluffing game is on, and it could go all the way to the draft. We don't want to give up on getting a number one pick. It's very much on the front burner, and it hasn't subsided. The game is on now."
    -- San Diego GM A.J. Smith, commenting to the San Diego Union Tribune on the possibility of trading restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner before the draft.

Smith says Buffalo, Tennessee and four teams he wouldn't name are interested in Turner. The Chargers have a choice. They retain the right to demand first- and third-round draft choices for Turner -- a deal even Smith knows is unrealistic for a backup running back -- or Smith can choose to make a lesser deal with an interested team before the draft.

Smart money around the NFL thinks Smith will take a high second-round pick for Turner ... if the Chargers have a player in mind at the top of the second round they like more than Turner. If they don't deal Turner now, and then don't re-sign him before January, they're likely to lose him in free agency next offseason.

2. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I think we'll be the ones making a strong run at Turner here soon.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO the Chargers would be absoutely stupid to not take a deal with the Titans to swap 1st rounders and maybe our last 4th rounder. Turner is gone after this year, no doubt. Swapping first rounders is equal in points to trading a 2nd round pick so the value of the trade for SD would not be bad.

From our perspective the deal is a good one. Turner might be as good as any running back in this draft maybe with the exception of Peterson. I would put his value closer to Lynch. Thus, getting Turner is like getting a first round pick at RB for our #19 pick (about where we would have to draft Lynch if he is even there), we still have a first rounder at #30, still have our 2nd round pick and only lose a 4th rounder (about what SD would get next year in compensation).

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd love it if that deal worked out, Soxcat. We'll see who plays better hard ball.

5. ONUV

ONUV Starter

eric wright of nfldraftcountdown.com said there's a 75% chance that Turner gets traded.

6. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Soxcat, what if we do that whole swap deal and someone like Jamaal Anderson falls to #19? We'd be kicking ourselves, especially if he turns out to be a pro-bowl DE. Then, what if Turner turns out to be a dud? I mean, TJ Duckett looked real good with the Falcons behind Warrick Dunn, but absolutely sucked filling in as the #1 in Washington last year. Duckett even had more production and didn't cost the Redskins nearly what Turner is going to cost someone. I think we should stick to the draft and see who becomes available after cuts.

7. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

It's called a draft day trade my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar