Changing dynamics of the nfl??

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titansman1, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I haven't looked at stats to back this up, but I would imagine that there has been a slight bias towards pass-oriented teams because of the rule changes over the past 10 years. Lots of restrictions to protect QBs have resulted in QBs having more time to pass downfield, more stringent interference rules have tended to give WRs softer coverage, more stringent rules on hits and tackles have also given offense an edge with the majority of those calls benefiting WRs.

But I agree with Jeff that the 1st half of the season has always favored passing teams and it balances out later in the season. By the time January hits you have to be able to do both efficiently. In the past 10 years the Super Bowl winners haven't shown a trend towards the pass. The Ravens, Bucs, Steelers and Giants balance out the Rams, Pats and Colts.

The heart of the game hasn't changed, and personnel tends to dictate the trends. Brady, Manning and Brees have defenses going smaller and faster with an emphasis on stopping the pass. It's only a matter of time before teams start to take advantage of that by getting back to a pounding, methodical run game.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

they showed the rushing ranks, but the not total defensive ranks.
    jets 3
    titans 30
    panthers 12
    dolphins 19
    giants 1
    cowboys 16
    falcons 25
    vikings 15

you need stingy defense to go along with the running game.

the jets and the panthers are lacking something that is also essential to having this type of team, a caretaker. mark sanchez has been a turnover machine and jake delhomme has finally stopped turning the ball over, which has coincided with victories.
    we have, but as defenses get smaller to counter the speed on the offense's side of the ball, offenses will revert back to power running games and will be able to push the smaller defenses around. it's all cyclical, the offenses are just always a step ahead.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

One of the things that makes the NFL great is that no 1 stat can define or determine a win except who actually wins. While yes, it's a bit surprising the top 4 rushing teams are not doing well, how many of them have a top 5 D? The Jets I believe are the only one, but frankly, it's bit skewed since the Jets D was SO good early on and has since been torched. There D has actually cost them games despite it's statistics. And if you look at points/game, the Jets are not in the top 5. The Jets also have a rookie QB who's thrown a gazillion INT's at times...

Meanwhile, the Titans D is still ranked near the bottom and yet we've won 3 straight.

Typically, if you have a dominant run game and a dominant defense, you should be a top team as long as special teams and turnovers aren't killing you. The Steelers rode this philosophy for Big Ben's first Super Bowl and the Ravens used it last year to get to the AFC Championship game. It still works. The only thing is, if you happen to have a Hall of Fame QB on your roster, you can get away with throwing it 50 times a game and do very well. It also helps if that QB has 1 or 2 Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame WR's too.

But most QB's throwing the ball 40 times is a BAD sign! Running it is a lot safer for the rest. It's safer in turnovers and runs clock which helps with time of posession, resting your D and limiting the other teams offenses chances.

Gut

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think nate smokes salt, and sheet rock.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

I think what he means is Vince is a good passer. In College he threw for a heap of yds. But he's not a Traditional QB. Vy is a good passer. He has a great arm and can throw with zip. And he isn't as inaccurate as people say. He just isn't a Typical NFL Qb. And honestly im fine with that. I would rather have a mobile QB behind Center on 4th & Goal in the AFC Championship then a Regular passer. That way there are options and the play won't be over if a rush comes.In january You need more than peyton and brady. You need a Mcnair & George & Wychek & Mason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar