Changes Must Be Made During BYE If Titans Are Serious About Winning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Number 1:Yes we payed CJ a king's ransom but its not Mike Munchak's wallet and he needs to change things up in the running game and try some different things.If you have to bench him you have to because its going to cripple the offense in the long run.Maybe try some different packages and even throw Harper in there also.

Number 2:We could use a little bit more help at WR and they probably won't sign anyone like TO or a veteran but it seems like we are a bit meager at that spot.Hopefully Avery steps up in the coming weeks because with Britt gone Washington is the lone WR that seems to be stepping up.

Number 3:Where did our defense go today against Pittsburgh.With the shabby line the Steelers had we should've been all over Big Ben but he was barely touched all afternoon.The defense is going to have to show up every single game and not lay an egg at random times in the schedule.Our defense is going to have to be consistent.

Number 4:Leadership.We need some vocal players on both sides of the ball that are willing to stand up and lead and call other players to do their best at all times.

2. pettso

pettso Starter

#1 for sure. We can't have CJ run on 1st and 2nd down and be left with a 3rd and 9.
    #2 is something they really can't do much about. Avery was a good pickup, hopefully his knee is fine and he can contribute.
    #3 Jerry Gray took responsibility and promised that would never happen again. My guess is they underestimated the Steelers' O-line and expected to get pressure on Big Ben. Then they didn't have any adjustments ready for when they weren't able to.
    #4 Finnegan + Witherspoon on D and Hall + Hasselbeck on O should be enough, I hope.

Overall, I agree. They need to use the bye to make some tweaks. I don't think we need sweeping changes. My list would be:

1) Running game (obviously).
    2) Stupid penalties have to stop.
    3) Bring intensity every game.

3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Let's not panic quite yet.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

1. Sign Shaun O'Hara
    2. Play Ringer/Harper more. They hit the holes.
    3. Find an owner/GM who is dumb enough to trade for CJ and give us someone decent.

Everyone who said trading CJ is the dumbest thing we could do in the offseason is soon going to realize that it would've been the smartest thing to do (if y'all haven't already).

5. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

@ #2... what game were you watching? our WRs were decent today..... some passes just werent there b/c the blitz came faster than Hass could handle and he had to throw really early.... DWill was clearly the better receiver out today.... some weird communications problems that shouldnt happen with Washington... and anyone else sick of watching Hawkins dive for balls that look questionable?

6. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

only game i really thought the defense has played well is against Baltimore, why we have gone away from that style of play is beyond me.

7. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Better than watching Gage watch the ball sail over his head while he slows down after running 10 yards.

8. BeatADeadColt

BeatADeadColt Camp Fodder

1.) Agree.

2.) Agree kind of, but who are we going to find at this point in the season. All the "veterans" out there are completely washed up. Didn't get to watch the game because of work and schoolwork today, but looking at the statline and the highlights it seems like DWill did pretty good today. Avery was a good young reciever before he got hurt. People are over-reacting about being thin at WR. Of course we're hurting, we lost our best one. It sucks, but it's reality. Pretty much any team (minus the elites) that lost their #1 would be in the same boat as us.

3.) I disagree. I wish I didn't. I think our defense gets more credit than it deserves because we played Jacksonville, Cleveland, Devner, and Baltimore. The first three haven't put up big numbers against anybody this season, and Baltimore's not great either on the offensive side. Not saying the defense is terrible, the defense is just terribly average. We're doing a good job with the little we have.

4.) Agree. Unfortunately this happens to a lot of teams when their franchise players get old and retire or leave the team all at around the same time. If you look at who the leaders were on the old look team: Eddie George, Steve McNair, Bruce Matthews, Frank Wycheck, Derrick Mason, Javon Kearse, Keith Bulluck. They all left within a five year window of one and other.

And we haven't helped ourselves with our draft picks. Pacman, VY, CJ, Woolfolk. Your first round pick is supposed to be your franchise player, your team leader. Our middle/late round picks have shown a few nice surprises, but our recent high draft picks have been horrible, and are mostly gone or on their way out. I've got high hopes for Locker.

I think what people need to realize is that we aren't an elite team. We're in the playoff race because we're in a horrible division, but we're not real contenders. We're actually a below average team, preforming at an above average level, and I'm very proud of the Titans for that. We're doing better than what we should be doing given our personnel. But let's not get carried away.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. BeatADeadColt

BeatADeadColt Camp Fodder

I'm pretty sure most of us that aren't CJ disciples already have.

I was one that said I wouldn't trade CJ for anything less than a first round pick, a late round pick and an at least decent running back.

Now I'd take any team's second stringer and a third. Maybe a fourth.

Seriously he's that bad, and it's starting to look like he's only going to get worse as his speed declines with age. It's time to realize that CJ isn't a good running back. He's just freakishly fast. Or he was. Without that 4.2 he's worthless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar