Cecil on the 3-man rush

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I can understand that if you don't have the personnel to keep up with opposing teams receivers (i.e. Harper), but we have two (Finn/Griff) possibly three (Fuller) that are fast enough to not get burned by most all WRs in this league. I've only seen two WRs blatantly torch Finny (Ocho the year before last and Fitz in the PB). Finny is an awesome man2man cover guy. Why make him give the WR such a huge cushion?

And having man2man coverage is most of the time a must for a blitz too.

2. It's actually just the opposite. Fisher has changed. The Titans used to be strictly man-to-man. That's why guys like Reynoldo Hill never turned around and saw the ball. They were always behind the WR.

Now the DBs are usually in some sort of zone, keeping WRs in front of them. Yes, that gives them more room. But it also keeps the QB in front of DBs more. DBs can see the QB and can try and jump the route. That gives defenders a better chance to get an INT.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

True, but Hill is a FAR CRY from Finny. When you have cover guys like Finny, you can run man2man. Finny is a good enough player to keep the WR in his hip pocket whilst keeping an eye on the QB. Unfortunately while Harper also has that skillset mentally, he's not quite fast and agile enough to do man2man as well as Finny.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

What I find ironic is that the style of defense a Fisher team uses wouldn't work against a Fisher offense.

The idea seems to be to allow yardage by keeping the receiver in front of the defenders, but not allow the "big play." Which is all well and good, except even the style of offense Fisher likes to run doesn't involve the "big play," merely dinks & dunks. The exact style of offense that tends to destroy the defense in the first place. :?:

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I rather give up a big play and only use 1-3 minutes of the clock, than to let them dink and dunk down the field eating up 8 minutes and still scoring.

Play off the WR's early in the game, but make them work for the catch late in the game.

What teams let our WR's play 5 yards in front of them?

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

John Chavis called the 3 man rush the "mustang" package. All it prevents is a team winning! Maybe a place for it but not in that game or this game sunday. Did you guys see the jets blitz nearly every play and the texans did not handle it well at all. I hope to see no 3 man "mustang" packages sunday.

7. 24

24 Starter

We held the Super Bowl champs to 13 points. That's pretty good. We needed more offense, I think our defense was good.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

It's not easy to jam a pair of All Pro wide receivers. It's not like Cecil says "jam them" and it's done. Their receivers are two of the best and the odds of jamming them out of slant routes once, not to mention for an entire drive, are low. I'm not even sure if you can "push" a pro receiver to the sideline, but the odds are that if you try it would leave you vunerable over the top. Also, its nearly impossible to jam a receiver like that when they are lined up off the line of scrimmage. And to top it all off, you are asking 34 year old Nick Harper to jam these elite receivers and then run all over the field with them? That wouldn't work any better than dropping eight.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JokerJ

JokerJ Camp Fodder

All I know is we got Andre Johnson coming to town and I don't wanna see that 3 man rush crap against him. I don't care how many defenders are back there.

The Jets killed em with the blitz. There's no reason we shouldn't be bringin the heat too!

Speaking of the Jets.... Looks to be another tough game.... don't know what it is about them but its starting to feel like they have our number. That makes this Texans game huge in my mind.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I just know they wont Blitz much, Titans are sold on what they want to do.

they rather go 8-8 than to change what they set out to do. I guess they are waiting for Jason Jones to become Haynesworth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar