Cecil on the 3-man rush

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Manning doesn't have 3 probowl receivers to "pick people apart" these days. Without his weapons, he's nothing.

2. The 3-man rush was a terrible decision. You can't just give Ben time to throw. Of course, it's easy to say that in retrospect, but I didn't like it as the play started.

I should add that I thought Cecil called a damned good defense for most of the game. They were excellent for 3 quarters. The D just got worn down in the 4th because the offense couldn't stay on the field.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

chuck should have talked to dinger and told him that when they blitz, 7 step drops are not optimal.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe the article mentions it was used twice before. One was an INC and the other was a short gain.

If he's blitzed the house and Ben hit a slanting Holmes for the first down, we'd be critical of that as well.

My biggest issue was the room the CBs allowed on the outside. They were not pumping the WRs at all as far as I could see.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If Harper would have jammed Holmes at the line and not let him go inside at all(and 'push' him towards the sideline), how would he have been able to run the quick slant route?
    Granted he might be able to go down the sideline but it would take a couple more seconds for him to get open, a couple more seconds to allow our blitz to get to Ben.

Exactly. We should have been jamming the hell out of them.

6. TitanJeff

The Titans defensive scheme seems to always be to keep the receiver in front of you, make the tackle and avoid giving up the big gain. It allowed Favre to eat them alive last season. I've seen them give 4-5 yards when the opponent is on the two.

If disrupting the timing is the best weapon against a short passing game, then I'd think having the corner up to bump the WR is a must -- especially on a blitz.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

For the life of me this is one of a few things the Titans do from a scheme standpoint that I just don't understand. Fisher's stubbornness to change would drive me nuts if I allowed it to.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, the more I watch it the more I feel like at least half the problem was an issue in the secondary. It's not that he completed the pass - he's a good QB with good receivers, and he's going to make plays. The problem was that he completed the pass to a WR with no Titans within at least 5 yards of him when we had 8 men in coverage. The trade-off on the 3-man rush was supposed to be tight coverage... why didn't we have that?

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I didn't like the outcome of the 3-man rush, but it was the right call to make before the snap. I just think Cecil should know; when Ben has time in the pocket, he finds open receivers down field.

10. TitanJeff

The other issue is that Ben has the best pump fake in the game. He was able to get our zone to jump with it for most of the game. Without any pressure, he sat back and used his best weapon to move the defense and then hit the open hole.

One of the advantage of a zone is you can read the QB. In this case, it hurt more than helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar