CB in the draft worth 2nd-3rd round picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by FLTitansfan, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Well, right now there is no clear cut definite first rnd CB. But there are the rnd 1-2 group and then a rnd 3-4 group.

In the first group you have...

Hall
    Revis
    Hughes
    Ross
    Wade
    Wilson (Josh)
    and maybe Houston and Irons

the second group is probably
    McCauley (though I think someone might grab him in rnd 2 for his athleticism)
    Davis
    Jackson
    Brown
    Wright
    Smith
    Bennett
    Bain
    and Wilson (CJ)

There will be some moving around after the combine and again after pro days. The top group is very fluid as Revis and Hughes haven't run (expected to run slow), Hall has been claimed to look like 'just another guy', Ross is a gambler, Wade is a lot smaller than people thought, Irons helped himself a lot in Mobile but how much, Wilson has supposed 4.2 speed meaning he'll need a big time run at the combine or he'll drop, and no one knows what to do with Houston.

The first group will be sorted by the combine and anyone who doesn't run will probably see their stock drop since no one is a blue chip prospect at CB. How they run, cod (change of direction) and other things will shake things out soon enough.

I'm a bit surprised that Hall got roasted alive by Ohio State in the biggest game of their year, is expected to run on the slow side, and still retains a first rnd grade after only a so so week in Mobile.

Gut

2. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

Ross has 4.5 speed. If he runs well at the combine he will get his shot at CB, but he looks like a S.

Houston could be the first CB taken. and Irons looked good in Mobile. Others dissapointed

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

well...

We'll see how all they run because all the top guys except for Hughes and Revis have run faster than 4.5. The fastest time I have for Hughes is a 4.52 and no one has an actual time for Revis (though everyone guesstimates he'll run slow in Indy).

What are you basing your statement on - that Houston could be the first CB taken?

Gut

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

What, are you just making numbers up now? Ross is a legit 4.4 and Tarrel Brown for Texas was a 4.3/4.4 guy. I've seen Ross run stride for stride with Jamal Charles and Romonce Taylor. I know people like to make fun of him because his girl friend is faster but hell there are very few guys who are faster than his girl friend.

Ross with be one of the top 2 or 3 corners taken in the draft.

BTW according to most everyone at the senior bowl, Ross looked better than Houston and Irons.

5. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

Not to nitpick or to get on you, but can you link me to "everyone" at the SB?

NFLdraftCountdown has him at 4.55, but a lot of their times seem to be slow, how about we just wait and see what everybody runs but I'm betting Ross runs around 4.5

Personally, I've only watched him closely once and that was the Alamo Bowl, and well... it wasn't pretty

6. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

Yeah, it should be more clear after they run.

Ah, it's mostly speculation about Houston, but I could see him impressing at the combine and shooting up late a la Joseph last year since there aren't any stand out elite CBs in the class (most of the top Srs weren't very impressive at the CB). They all have question marks and I think Houston may have the most tools and potential and a team might take a shot at him. Im not advocating that he should be #1, just that he might end up there after the combine.

7. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

and :ha: at Houston only being a Jr.

I'd say "everyone" is right :ha:

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I just know that of all the corners at the senior bowl Ross had the best showing. Overall he had the best year of any DB in college football, I would not concern myself with what happened in the Alamo bowl their screw ups had more to do with coaching screw ups than anything else.

If you want to see what he really can do look at how he did in the Rose bowl against an amazing USC receiving corp.

9. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

In the Alamo Bowl he got burned and showed poor hips. Say it with me, "It's all in the hips... It's all in the hips"

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think this is going to be one of those yrs in which the top CB might come off the board in the mid to late teens and only 2 or 3 will go in the 1st.

I think the WRs will be more impressive in their times at the combine and thus will tend to move up the boards ahead of some of the CBs.

Luckily for us we aren't forced by need into having to land a shut down CB. We just need to land a decent #2 and I think that will be found in the 2nd rnd.

I like the fact that Revis, Ross, and Wilson all have ST return skills. I'd be more than happy to move up trading a 4th to grab one of them in the early 2nd if their happens to have been a run on CBs.

I doubt that run on CBs will happen so we will probably be able to just sit where we are in the 2nd and get a decent player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar