Cary Williams: Nick Harper's future replacement?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So we used a 3rd round pick on Mouton for depth so he could be Williams backup and Williams was a 7th rounder who hasn't even played a live down yet at CB. Interesting logic there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Excellent, Soxcat. Also, thinking we have a "need" at CB, (which is more minor) and thinking that we didn't address it (when we picked a guy in the 3rd).

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The draft was very weak at CB so the Titans were smart to wait until they could get decent value for their pick.

Although hypothetically Williams and Mouton are even as far as earning playing time Mouton being a 3rd round pick is going to have a roster spot no matter what. The hope is that both end up being solid players.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A third rd pick is not later. Mouton was one of the top 100 players drafted. Both were drafted for their speed something you can't teach. Mouton ran a 4.42 40 on a bad hammy and mcourtry ran a pro day 4.30.

They are not automatically behind williams on the depth chart either. Plus if harper goes down faggins is the guy most likely to step in.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

FYI we could have drafted DJ moore over mouton in the third he was still on the board but we took mouton instead.

Had we drafted moore everyone would be talking about him as the heir to harpers spot but because mouton is less known he can't be? They liked mouton better as a prospect.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good points. Of the whole group of backups, Mouton, Mcourtry, Williams and Faggins there is only one who is guranteed a roster spot. Mouton was a 3rd round pick.

If you were going to make a depth chart of the backup CBs they would probably go in the order Faggins, Mouton, Williams and Mcourtry. Faggins is the vet, Mouton was a 3rd round pick and everone else.

Certainly the battle is wide open but Williams has his hands full just getting to be Harper's backup right now.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

FWIW.....

If you'll recall, I mentioned earlier in the thread that Finnegan had singled out CWilliams as a guy to keep an eye on this year.

Dave McGinnis was interviewed on Sirius radio yesterday, and was also quite effusive in his praise for Williams. He said Carey has been at BSP every single day this offseason and has displayed tremendous work ethic. He's been spending his days working with DB coach Marcus Robertson on his technique and his understanding of the playbook, and working with Steve Watterson to bulk up his frame.

He also pointed out that Williams' height, speed and quickness are right up there with any other CB in the NFL. As McGinnis put it, as long as Carey continues to develop his technique and overall understanding of the game, "he could really be somethin'."

I don't like to put too much faith in offseason hype. But when you've got an All-Pro cornerback and a well-respected veteran NFL coach separately singling out a young unknown as a guy to watch....at the very least you sit up and pay attention.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I certainly hope that they're right. We'll see how he looks in camp and preseason, and if he makes the final 53.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

We need all the corners we can get, especially since the "top" guys were deemed to overlookable. (So glad we didn't get Moore)

It's good news about Cary that I hope delivers.

Mouton as a third round pick was I think to fill a return spot as much as anything else. I was hoping we'd draft McCourty from the jump. I like a classic "double dip" ... get one guy up top, pick one of his teammates later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar