Can you go "McNairless"???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Mar 15, 2006.

?
  1. I could dare to go McNairless

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. nothing compares to McNair

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. I'll take a seat on that fence over there, thanks

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

anonymous poll:

Can you see the Titans doing ok without McNair for this year? (or ever again)

What about that $50 million?
    Where is the start Volek constituency?
    Can a real winner be built better that way?
    draft/FA $$$ ...

Would Steve ask to be released? What would that take?
    Is it really "only money"?

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

What about the $50 Million?

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I don't know... whatever it really works out too after the monopoly game is over. If he asked to be released and signs a deal somewhere, we don't hve to pay for him the next two years. Frees us up a bit because the money is off our books, right? Say there is a qb drafted and the decide that Billy is a big enough boy to mind the store for a year... there's tons of possibilities... We could get mad talent on both sides of the ball. I dunno. As good as MAC is he comes at a price. His cap # is actually bigger than Peyton Manning's. That's pretty common knowledge and at best a stupid factoid but sometimes I find myself daydreaming about a day when I don't wonder if Steve is going to be able to practice. I'm disenchanted and whatever SK's monopoly math puzzle that says that good players cost five apples a piece but Steve McNair will cost you seventeen apples and an orange, well, it just seems that we could do okay with a qb that we try to pass off as a starter in this league (float offers quietly)... meanwhile ... Which can you live without...McNair or his cap # ? It's definately not a simple question to me.

4. metal957

metal957 Starter

Nah he stay this year to let the rookie whoever that maybe "VINCE"

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I do think we could succeed without McNair. Defense has been our biggest killer the past couple of years, a good defense and a ball control offense and we could be alright.

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

There isn't a $50 Million issue. That was taken care of couple of weeks ago.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I wouldn't have a problem with letting McNair go. Now I'm not saying that's what I want, but if it happens I'd be ok with it.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Pretty surprised that the poll is tied at 5, 5, and 5 now. I could see us letting him go after the draft, I'd rather take the short hit this year and be completely free next year. I love steve, but I don't know if he's worth spreading out this hit over the next two or three years. I'd like to see him mentor our young QB from the draft, but that's a lot to invest in a mentor. I have no clue what's going to happen with our QB situation, but I'm getting excited with the other developments on our team and can't wait to see how the rest of the offseason plays out...

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I know that bonus was converted or whatever. I'm not trying to be real fine about the money, I'm just saying that Steve McNair eats up ALOT of cap space... My question is more or less whether the Titans can be better off without the money pit. Think about it this way... What is McNair's cap number over the next two years or whatever? I think they can structure the hit to be now or later or spread...but think about the whole cap...all 100+ million... in terms of a percentage, what is #9 eating up there? However you structure it it's a whole bunch... alot more proportionatly than most qb's in the league. Maybe I should learn more about the cap so I can talk about it competently, which obviously I can't... but the apples metaphor works real well to simplify it for me.

Good FA's cost between 5-8 apples... it takes 17 apples and an orange to suit up McNair... plus, he doesn't practice much... that's been going on for a while... bottom line... people say Ben Rothlisburger had so much success as a rookie because they put a team around him... a cast he could succeed with... With a Matt Leinart type who's to say it's impossible to win 15 games with a rookie qb? The Steelers have SB rings because they were not afraid to rip the band-aid off. Queerdell was shuffled out and when Maddox could'nt cut the mustard they showed him how to hold a clip board. Rewind two years... dear God that was a long time ago... even then... remember Billy's start in Buffalo? Week in and week out...is Steve ready to go?

McNair dressed despite being on crutches until midweek with a cracked bone spur in his left ankle.

I'm not trying to get up on the soap box and proclaim Volek to be the great white hope of the Tennessee Titans... but with the right personnel, maybe we could be the Pittsburg Steelers over the next two years...given that the right man is taken in the draft. I'm in no way suggesting that the Titans draft and start Vince Young.

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

The $50 Million was an option that the Titans chose not to excercise. It is no more. It has ceased to exsist. It is a non-bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar