can the titans become hybrid 3-4/4-3 D?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Hey guys
    i been thinking bout some things. i like the titans as a 3-4 team and heres why:

1 - w/o big al we need to be more creative to get pressure.
    2 - i like the idea of our lbs blizing more (thorton, bullock and tully)
    3 - tony can man the middle with big vick to spell him off.
    4 - we already have an ideal end in kvb and we can move jones to end in a 3-4 and he will i think be very good. hes already showed he can get to the qb from the middle.
    5 - we can bring in kearse and move jones back to the middle keep teams guessing.

im thinkin we run a 3-4 i dont know like 30-40% of games.

y cant we be more diverse. both the 3-4 and the 4-3 work and we got good personal to pull it off. teams scheme so hard against defenses, id only imagine this would make it hella harder.

and as for the game against the jets.....id bet a grand we win. they ended our winning streak last season badly. we're a great football team too. i just cant see us at 0-3

2. TitansWinAgain

TitansWinAgain Camp Fodder

Tony Brown can not play NT.
    Bulluck and Thornton are not 3-4 OLBs
    We don't have a second MLB since Fowler got cut.

We just need to work on our 4-3 blitzes not do anything as drastic as move to 3-4.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

hold up brown can play the nose. bulluck and thorton can play on the outide; they work good in open space. this will keep them free. they have a better chance to get the qb than most of our ends if they blitz from teh outside. sure fowler would have been nice. but we cut him because the staff felt we had better LBs....so lets use them!

and like i said it would be to change things up...not for a majority of plays..keep offenses guessing b/c lets face it...we dont really have a good blitz package....

man ppl here love to hate...

4. No.

We don't have anyone who can play 3-4 DT. Our current DTs may be capable of playing 3-4 DE. Our current DEs may be capable of playing 3-4 OLB (iffy). Our current LBs could play ILB (but none are suited to it). But we don't have anyone who can play NT in a 3-4.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Exactly right,Starkiller. I love the idea of a 3-4. I believe Ford, Kearse, and Haye are perfect for a 3-4 OLB.

Brown,Jason Jones would be superb 3-4 DEs. J Haye would probably be good there too.

Vickerson would be our only choice for a middle man.

KVB is left out in the cold in this plan, but i suppose he could be a DE

What I'd like to see: If Bulluck is gone, Make Thornton and Tulloch be ILB, they would be completely serviceable there.

Kearse/Ford/Hayes OLB

Jones/Brown/Haye DE

#1 or #2 draft pick/Vickerson-NT

Bada bing.

the Jags do something that we could do, I noticed against the Colts. Harvey was playing a stand up DE/OLB, blitzing most of the time, and occasionally going out to the flats. With the athleticism of Hayes I think this could be killer, while still keeping the 4-3 look.

I have all faith in the world that our current ends could be OLBs (save KVB) because Travis Laboy has done it without nearly the physical tools that our current players have.

6. 24

24 Starter

7. nickmsmith

You've gotta adapt to what you've got.

8. TenACTyrant

TenACTyrant Hey Reynaldo TURN AROUND!

our linebackers arent physical enough for 3-4

9. nickmsmith

they're physical enough to be MLBs in that.
    It would basically be a 5-2.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I am against the idea of switching to a 3-4 front. Mainly because little Tully will get pummeled. He's no Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher whom can take on blockers.
    Also in the base alignment of a 3-4 defense, a defensive end is in position to prevent the offensive tackle from consistently stepping out and blocking an outside linebacker. Jevon Kearse can not handle this. So our solid linebackers play will disappear. Notice the lineman in Pittsburgh and in Dallas; those guys are big and take up space. With our line we move well. So we would seemingly suck as a 3-4 defense.

Why waste the agility in Kearse, Ford, and KVB? No good in a 3-4. You take them out of the game basically if they're eating blockers.

Remember: Kearse tried standing up in Philly. Now he's done there, and its because he sucked standing up.

BUT on another note that favors titan_fan_4ever idea. (One that doesn't apply to the 2009 Titans) is that Kyle Vanden Bosch pointed out the 3-4's effectiveness: "We have used 3-4 front principles where I'm outside the offensive tackle as well as defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, and it does cause hesitation from the blockers." Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston backs Vanden Bosch, saying, "The Titans gave us some trouble when they used that 3-4 look to my side with Haynesworth on me and Jevon Kearse outside of me."
    So using some tricks from the 3-4 playbook we can in fact do well.
    But that would mean KVB as a linebacker?? Whoa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar