Can The Titans Become An Explosive Offense This Year And Beyond?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

DWill, Hawk, and Cook all had this problem to start out the season, but I don't really hold it against them. None of them had much past playing experience (which IMO is the only way to really learn), they were all learning a new offense with no offseason, and they were adjusting to a new QB (who was also in a new offense). It is crucial for them to be comfortable with the QB in order to get a feel for how he will read and react to certain looks the D gives. There is really only so much you can do in a meeting room or against the scout team, esp in such a short amount of time.

The reason I don't hold it against any of them (at least now. weeks 4-8 last year I was ready to cut all of them) is because all 3 of them (Hawk/Cook/DWill) starting getting together by the end of the season. The improvement as far as being on the samepage with the QB from week 4 to week 17 was pretty big. It really gave me a lot of confidence going into this season that they will be able to pick it up and continue to improve.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now moving onto Fisher ... I loved Fisher for the time he was here, but the last few years his inability to adapt his gameplans is what was really the biggest problem IMO. Not only would he continue to run the exact same gameplan from the 1st half of a game to the 2nd half even though it was obvious they didn't work, but he would continue to run the same gameplan week after week no matter what, and we would get beat the exact same way week after week. It was demoralizing. I would much rather change the gameplan up and get blown out than lose due to the same reasons every single week. If you change it up, then at least you attempted to do something. It really didn't even seem like Fisher and Co. attempted to do anything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now addressing the original topic of this thread ... Yes I think the Titans can and will become a very explosive offense. This is the most playmakers we have ever had on offense in the skill positions (at least since I started watching football in '99). I also think we have a OC in Palmer that can really take advantage of the talent. I fully believe that our offense will look dramatically different this year. I think we will give a lot of looks that we have never seen from the Titans. A lot of 4 WR sets and really try to spread out the defense and attack downfield. In the past the philosphy has always been "open up the pass with the run" but I think we will approach it the exact opposite this year. I think we use the pass to set up the run. Back the D off a little, then spring CJ for bigger gains. I predict CJ's total # of carries will be down, but his YPC will be up a lot. Nate Washington has already alluded to the coming change with some recent comments IMO, and he seemed pretty excited about it.

We should be fine with either Hass or Locker at QB, but I really hope Locker comes in to camp and proves he is the starter because this offense is being built for him IMO. Hass could do a fine job I'm sure, but this style will be much better suited for Locker.

I also think this should help out the D as well. Way too many 3 and outs last year really put the pressure on the D and wore them down. Hopefully with some added help rushing the passer and a fresher D throughout the game, we will see some improvement on that side of the ball as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, one more thought ... While I think Thompson could prove to be a very good threat at TE given his physical attributes, I think that it isn't realistic to expect him to show much at all this year, and maybe not for another year after. He never played TE in college so he will need extra time to adjust not only to the NFL, but his new position. This guy was brought in as a developmental project with a relatively low risk and high reward. He may find a spot on ST this year, but I wouldn't be expecting him to make a big impact on O as a rook. Hope I am wrong though

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I wouldn't expect to see him much this year, barring injury, but I think he'll be a big contributor in 2013. Everything I read about the guy suggests he is smart, so I'd think he'd pick it up pretty quick.

And it wouldn't shock me to see them get him involved in goaline packages this season. A 6-6 guy is always nice to have in jump ball situations.

3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I do think it would help extend CJ's career by getting a good physical power back to grind out yardage at times and once those defenses get worn down put CJ in more as that happens and as the game gets moving along.Definitely would help to have this power back split some of the carries instead of CJ seeing the bulk of the load.

4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Ringer and Harper will both probably see a lot of action this preseason.Think there is any chance one of these players gets cut before opening day?

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Probably not. Ringer is on a contract year, and the lead catching rb, Harper still hasn't shown anything but I think they give him a chance.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I'm not as worried about how quickly he can pick up the offense as I am about his ball handling skills. I mean he hasn't had to take a hit and hold onto the ball or make a catch while being contested since HS. Those type of things he will probably need a lot of time to develop. HS to Pros is a pretty big step.

Again, I am not saying he can't do it. I am really excited about him, but I think it will come a few years down the road.

But I agree with your last statement. As big and athletic and smart as this guy seems to be, surely the coaches can find a way for him to help out in some capacity. Even if it is just some niche or gimmick role, or just in certain packages/situations for his 1st year or 2. I have just seen some posters act like he will be Gronk v2.0 year 1, and I just don't want them to be too disappointed if he isn't right off the bat.

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I would be happy with Thompson coming in on red zone packages as a miss match player. Big target for the qb. Wont be very contested.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Proof at how ignorant some titan fans are.

2000-Kevin Dyson suffers a season ending knee injury in preseason. Would suffer another significant injury again late in 2002 and would basically be done with his career. Fisher's fault?

Preseason 2004, Tyrone Calico suffers a career ending injury. Came back and played in 2005 but sucked, averaging just 8.7 ypc. The injury was fisher's fault right?

March 2005 Mason is released for cap reasons and finishes his career as a Raven. Poor management of the cap was Fisher's fault right?

2006 Titans sign Givens to a big 5 year contract. After a couple of games he injures his knee and will never play again. Fisher's fault?

I guess Jeff Fisher caused the cap hell and all those injuries right?

Do some of you ever think before you post?

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jared Cook is a good guy, he's done nothing wrong off the field. I really just used that phrase because I'm fairly disappointed in him.

I never liked the pick, but saw the potential. His value was not what other Titan coaches thought it was, and when he enters the game on 3rd downs now he's essentially tipping off the defense. I wish he were more of a full-time player. But since he hasn't been that, I'm a little bummed out with him.

I'd love for him to stick around but I don't see it happening if he doesn't blow up in 2012. He's kinda always right there, but never convinces you he's there yet as a pro.

Maybe he would be better off out in space, cause off the tackle he's not good enough IMO to get another contract from the Titans.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How is it the coaches fault he doesn't have any good WRS? You are aware of the job the GM does right?

How ignorant, our WRs were gutted by injury and cap hell from 2004-2006 and you have the f*cking nerve to blame Fisher for not having anybody good in 2007?

Yes Williams and Gage were our best WRs in 2007 and VY was the QB and that proves that Fisher was a bad coach? We went to the playoffs with that crappy personnel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar