Can anyone justify Andrew Luck's decision?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

you can't really rise much higher than #1 overall...

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If Harbaugh had stayed I would've said they'd have a great chance.

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I guess I am one of those STUPID STUPID people also. The choice to stay in school is his alone. If you only look at the money (or opportunity...however you choose to define it) side of the decision I agree it is not the best decision for him to make. However, I think that there is much more to life than money.

I have read the argument that he can finish school anytime afterwards, which is correct. BUT, there is something to say for getting the degree at a school like Stanford as well. He likely would not be able to do that during his football career (unless he is playing for a west coast team), and after his career finishing his degree would be "education" only (none of the other experiences that comes with college life, due to the difference in age at that time).

Would I do the same thing....hard to say, but I am very proud of my degree, and where it came from. I respect his decision, and will not trash him for making it.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Your brain can be taken from you just as quickly as your football career, in the blink of an eye. Ask Terri Schiavo, or any traumatic brain injury victim.Or any Alzheimers patient. it's sad really.

5. ItsGonnaHurt

ItsGonnaHurt Practice Squad

The more I've thought about it, they more this theory makes sense. If nothing else, I belive it is a major factor. And if you have the extra year to work with, why not? I think everyone would agree that he has less of a chance of suffering the setback that Locker did this year. Let's just hope the coaching change doesn't hurt an otherwise fantastic player. I wish him "Luck" :wink2:

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Both of these things have been repeated at this point.

So I ask the question, have I or anyone in this thread stated that "money is the most important thing in life" or "the choice to stay in school isn't his"?

I certainly agree it's his decision and there are more important things in life than money.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol the only respectable school in the SEC. And they just so happen to suck at football... wonder why? Playing by the rules in a conference that is notorious for cheating has got to be tough.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Yes for finishing college and enjoying life because it becomes ridiculously pressured.

Perhaps it's not a big deal to HIM. Way to make assumptions.

He's a smart guy, he's probably smart enough to invest whatever initial millions he makes and be set for life.
    Perhaps he's content with being comfortable in life without being exceedingly rich.

You know, people stay in school and still get drafted #1.

I remember Vince Young went back to school and was reamed for it on this forum.

Good summary of this thread.

Am I wrong?

Probably less than 1% of the world makes 50 million or more. If you made $50 million you wouldn't be talking rubbish on a forum. It's a safe assumption.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Elitist much?

:rolleyes:

And you think the difference earned over that time will make or break the Luck/Leinart family.

You're talking millions, not thousands. It's immaterial if he has 50 million or 80 million. I think the family is going to be ok for awhile.

Yet he'll still have his degree and can make a start on life outside of football.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

And that pretty much sums it up that you don't understand the value of money.

Biggest reason I could never be a financial adviser. I don't have the patience to explain the time value of money to people that have never invested or made a budget.

Not saying you are one of those people Gunny, but to think the difference between 50 or 80 million is immaterial is laughable.

I do not have 50 million dollars. I'm not going to comment further than that because I don't want to advertise my net worth on a forum and it's really no one's business.

Roughly 7 million people are millionaires in the United States. That is roughly 1 out of 50 United States citizens. Many people would now label someone with 1 million (but not 2 million) as "upper-middle class" instead of "upper class."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar