Campbell strictly a special teamer so far

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans spent plenty of time during the offseason praising second-year cornerback Tommie Campbell, with defensive coordinator Jerry Gray calling him the team’s second-best corner from a technical standpoint and saying he hoped Campbell could push Alterraun Verner for a starting role.

Even through most of training camp and the preseason, Campbell appeared the odds-on favorite to be the Titans’ third cornerback.

But through the Titans’ first two games, Campbell has yet to take a single defensive snap.

“I thought I had a pretty solid training camp at cornerback, so I don’t know (what happened). Who knows?” Campbell said. “I just know I have to continue to get better. I guess it’s experience or whatever the case may be, but I just need to get better.”

Gray explained that the Titans’ first two games, against New England and San Diego, meant Ryan Mouton would be a good match-up in the slot against receivers like Wes Welker and Eddie Royal.

So instead of Campbell coming in on passing downs and Verner moving into the slot, the Titans opted for Mouton in the slot. That left Verner on the outside and Campbell on the sidelines.

“You look at a guy like Welker who’s quick and fast, and we thought that was a better match-up for Mouton (as opposed to moving Verner inside),” Gray said. “He only had a couple of catches in that game, so that was really good for us.

“We try to really match up what guys can do well, and let them go out there and play, and not be deficient and say, `Hey, coach, he caught the ball because he’s more athletic.’”

What’s also interesting, though, is that on the few occasions the Titans have gone looking for a fourth cornerback during the first two weeks, it’s been rookie Coty Sensabaugh – not Campbell – who’s gotten the call. Sensabaugh has just six defensive snaps, but that’s still six more than Campbell.

“He’s probably one of the most steady rookies I’ve been around,” Gray said of Sensabaugh, the team’s fourth-round pick. “He doesn’t get shaken up a lot.

“It’s nothing against Tommie. I think Tommie is going to play in the right time. It may be this week. He’s probably our fastest guy back there and definitely our biggest, so we’ll get a chance to see him.”

In the meantime, Campbell will continue to focus on special teams, where he leads the Titans with four tackles through two games.

“I’ve been doing everything on special teams – blocking, covering kicks – and I take a lot of pride in that,” Campbell said. “I’m here to do my job on special teams and do whatever the team asks me to do, just be prepared and ready to go whenever the time comes.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Campbell can be a great CB, but he's gotta wait for Mouton to screw up. Mouton has been pretty steady to this point, so Campbell might have to get comfortable on special teams.

3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Maybe campbell can play safety we seem to have no one else that can! He could cover a te.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'd love to see Campbell at safety. I feel that he needs to be on the field. He's definitely big enough and I believe he played Safety in college. I def don't think that change would happen during the season but maybe in the off-season they can look at him there.

5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I'm still waiting for Reynauld to start ballin'....

6. JCBRAVE

I'm wondering, when do you sleep?

7. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Stray wolves like him hibernate. A few more months.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. JCBRAVE

And a lot of people look at Campbell and think Safety, but IMO he's better off sticking to CB. His speed and range could allow him to snatch tons of balls from receivers.

9. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Id be happy if our offensive line somehow improved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar