Cam newton compared

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by QGP, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

He is a mix between Vince Young (but vy is more elusive) and Jamarcus Russell.

Russell is more of the he's a giant man playing qb while by is more the- I read one guy and if he's not open, I run.

Both vy and jr needed to put in a LOT of time into footwork, reading defenses, learning an NFL playbook, developing pocket presence, passing accuracy and growing up.

These are all things cam will need to do. When talking about his 'team' he mentioned his family and his marketing firm. Combined with the 'entertainer and icon' comment and his mixed results in interviews and I find it difficult to justify taking him in the top fifteen.

He's a huge boom or bust player and like vy and jr, he could have hall if fame talent. But will develop all he needs to to get there physically and mentally and are willing to bet the next 5 years of your franchise that the answer is yes after you hand him $50 million?

Gut

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think it's a great comparison because like Alex mentioned they're both one year wonders. I'd love to see Cam go to Buffalo that way he'll be able to show what he's really made of. Carolina probably won't take him and Denver probably won't either. So I don't know how Buffalo could pass on him. They need a star and this kid thinks he's a star so let's see what could happen.

If he does fall to us at #8 there's no way I see us taking him. BUT If he ends up being the pick though, I can only hope for the best.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Cam is a combination of Tony Siragusa & Gary Anderson.

5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Cam Newton is a combination of dumb and dumber.

6. 24

24 Starter

I don't see it. Cam played in the spread option, Sanchez played in a pro-style offense. Cam's arm is much stronger than Sanchez's, and while Cam's upper body mechanics are good, his lower body mechanics are horrible. Sanchez had good overall mechanics.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I would compare him to Steve Mcnair. Mcnabb also.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://profootball.scout.com/2/1051416.html

Nothing wrong with this interview. I guess some people expect him to apologize for being good.

Sounds to me like he just wants to go to work and play football and stop trying to appease the idiot media.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

When I read posts about Newton I would think he is an arrogant who doesn't care about football. What I see and hear from Cam is that he is committed and knows he is blessed to be given this opportunity.

He comes from a football family. He loves his father. So he doesn't have the void in his life VY had which seemingly was the cause of some of his mental issues. His father and brother obviously know what it takes to be a NFL football player. So Cam doesn't have delusions he can just show up and be great.

He knows it will take extreme work. While other position players were working on nipping tenths of a second off their 40 times and improving their vertical jumps Cam has been working on taking snaps from center and fine tuning his QB skills. It IS significant he is already working on parts of his game he knows are lacking. Did we see that with VY? It shows commitment and any strides Cam makes in this off season will benefit the team that takes him.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think what some of these enlightened reporters want from Newton is a yes masser response to every question. He is supposed to be sorry for being great and he is supposed to humble himself before the football gods.

You can see how he is digging for what he thinks is the right response that people want to hear. He can't just say he wants to be the best QB who ever lived he has to temper that by saying he will try his best to be the best QB he can be.

This is a guy who played at Blinn college in 2009 and owned the damn college football world just one year later and he is supposed to say i'm sorry for that?

And comparing him to Demarcus Russell is overtly racist in my opinion. There are a lot of highly regarded QB prospects who had size and a big arm who turned total bust but the one guy i have to hear about is the black guy? What about Byron Leftwich? Oh he doesn't suck bad enough. :sad2:

Why not compare Newton to David Carr? Carr is more similar than Russell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar