Calico Trying to Work Through Drops

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: WR Tyrone Calico admits he made an error in judgement on a ball he should have caught over his shoulder last Sunday. “I should have just went up for the ball and caught it with no interference. He made a good play,” Calico said. “It was a bad decision on to let it drop and try to catch it in straight stride. I should have just jumped up for it.” Drops by Calico and other wide receivers has been an issue for some time as the last time the unit led a game in receptions was Oct. 30. “We’ve just got to make plays downfield. That’s what we’re lacking right now,” Calico said. “Everybody can do it, but we’re not doing it right now. Everybody on offense needs to contribute to making plays. We show spurts here and there, but we need to do it consistently.”

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Tightans

Tightans Guest

And we're bringing in Bobby Wade...

steaming ~ :-(

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

A big criticism of Calico coming out of college was that he had problems with drops...lack of concentration or whatever you want to attribute to it.

Guess is is back at square one.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

"No go" Calico is a bust. Definitely hasn't been worth a #2 (draft pick either). It's always some excuse with him.

5. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Well, Calico showed some very nice flashes of potential in 2003, but then he kinda stunk it up and fell out of favor. 2004 he looked great, IMO, he had improved his hands/concentration and look to have a stellar season, but he got injured, came back and got re-injured. Now, many claim that it takes a year or two to get over his injury, but the injury that he sustained has nothing to do with his hands and current play. Honestly, I'll admit, I've been Ty's biggest critic this year, but I feel he deserves one more shot and if he doesn't put up - boot 'em. His contract is up after next season, anyways, isn't it?

6. Mr. E

Mr. E Camp Fodder

LoL...idiots calling players a bust before they really get chances to show their worth.

People don't understand football. I know it may sound weird to some of you...unheard of even...but uh...it takes time for players to mature. Some are slower at it than others....but calico hasn't had near enough time to be considered a bust.

Anyway - he's made some very good snags too, but nobody sees those. I find myself saying "and this guy had bad hands?" a lot when he catches balls that are thrown far too hard into traffic. He snags'em down a lot.
    Last week he screwed up a good 2 times on catchable balls. One was a perfect throw, the other the throw sucked but it was definitely catchable.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

Calico's M.O. as a rookie was that he'd always made the difficult plays...the one-handed stab, or the acrobatic catches. Where he ran into problems was making the easy, routine catches where the ball hit him right on the numbers. This tells me that his hands are fine....the biggest problem is focusing on making the catch.

It looks to me as if maybe his focus has regressed back to his rookie season. Fortunately, as everyone saw, the next preseason, he was catching everything that was thrown to him until his knee injury. Hopefully this offseason will bring similar improvement...even if he only gets to the level he was playing at before the ACL, he'll provide a serious threat to opposing defenses.

8. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

:toast: here's hopping he does get back to where he was before the injury; Hopefully tomorrow we can see some of it. :))

9. maximus

maximus Starter

Problem with Calico is he needs to focus. Its too early to label him a bust, but you could label him a disappointment

10. What does one have to do with the other???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar