Caldwell's already pondered opening speech

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Just read a Q&A at colts.com <a href="http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=7742a07f-3ddb-448b-878b-8c12cfae28f5" target="_blank">with Jim Caldwell</a>.</p> <p>There isn't a ton of new territory covered, but I was struck by two snippets that covered his takeover of the head coaching job from Tony Dungy.</p> <p>He admitted while he's hardly agonized about it, he has thought about the things he wants to say and how he wants to say them in his first address to the team. A big part of that will be presenting himself as their new leader.</p> <blockquote> <p>They have to get accustomed to me in this role. It's still me. I'm the same guy I was eight months ago, but the fact of the matter is, I'm in a little different capacity. I certainly am in a position where it's going to require that I'm a bit more vocal than I've been before. They'll get a fresh look at me in that regard, but I don't think it's going to be anything that's going to be a shock to the system or anything of that nature.</p> </blockquote> <p>As he's gotten organized, altered his coaching staff and planned the offseason, he said he has benefited from having been a head coach before. Many of the NFL's new young coaches are head coaches for the first time, but Caldwell can call on his experiences at Wake Forest from 1993-2000.</p> <blockquote> <p>That can't be minimized. It cuts out a lot of the apprehension and trepidation in terms of going into a whole new situation, something foreign that you haven't done before. You're certainly a lot more comfortable with yourself in that role. Often, some of the guys may not be as comfortable with themselves because they haven't been there before. Obviously, a lot of guys do great jobs in their first year. That has been proven in this league, but it does help. I can tell you that.</p> </blockquote>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar