Cable for PS3 to HDTV

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TitanJeff, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm needing to pick up a cable to run a PS3 to an HDTV. I'll also need to run the audio to a surround sound receiver. Any of you guys with PS3s have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

?
    i thought you were somewhat of a techie .......

HDMI (really doesn't matter) but you may want to make sure it's up to current code ,which is currently up to v. 1.3b

audio to receiver would be a standard TosLink Optical Cable

Sony markets a Ps3 branded packaging of both cables at ridiculous prices
    there is really no need in investing in Monster either

you can get HDMI cables for $19.99
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=361946&prDeTab=2#A

and Optical cables for $9.99
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=364821

I bought both of these at Sam's and am using them to connect my Ps3 to my Sony SXRD and they work very well. It's very subjective if $100 Monster cables would provide any better benchmark results
    Monoprice is a good place to shop online

3. TitanJeff

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I would only consider Monster Cables IF i were doing a permanent Home Theater install and the cables were going to be In-Wall used for a 100" screen and 1080p projector
    even then, I'd like to see bench tests showing signal to noise, distortion, bandwidth, etc..... chances are , if there is any real difference, it'd be minimal, not noticeable on most consumer products and not worth the cost

for a Ps3 and your Toshi, you can get away with $30 cables

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

HDMI carries a digital signal, so your $10 HDMI cable is as good as your $100 HDMI cable. The $100+ digital cables are basically a "scam".

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

The research I did echoes what Puck and VolTitan are saying.

Does your HDTV have a HDMI input?

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not necessarily
    but $100 HDMI is price gouging to be sure

some older HDMI cables might not be able to carry the high bandwidth being implemented in newer components

"The latest revision for HDMI doubles the bandwidth of the original and has opened the door for a host of potential new advancements in Home Theater Audio/Video performance. New features such a “Deep Color,” higher color gamut, and high resolution, multi-channel audio formats like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio will make higher bandwidth demands than ever before. Equipment manufacturers are bringing out new devices to take advantage of these new features. Category 2 testing ensures that the standard set by this new requirements are adhered to."

there is a reason why HDMI standard is evolving and cabling specification is improving to keep up with the newer demands

9. TitanJeff

I assumed so but will need to verify.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Jeff, if it's your Toshi HM195/6 it has HDMI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar