Bye Week............why?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Why does the NFL have Bye Weeks?
    My prospective, other than missing a week of Titans football, it screws up the AFC Souths standings. The other teams have played 4 games whereas the Titans have only played 3.
    Is there a reason for this?

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

For one, it makes all the networks (and the league itself) an extra week worth of $$$.

I don't actually know the real reason. My guess was it started as a necessity, back when there was an uneven # of teams.

3. Originally it was because there was an odd number of teams when Cleveland got an expansion team (after they moved to Baltimore originally) before Houston got the Texans. But yes, I think it's still there for TV revenues...

4. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

:yes:

5. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

Pretty much.

Especially since the networks are paying so much money for the rights to carry the game. They at least wanna break even. (That's why ABC ditched MNF...they were losing $$ left and right).

6. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

So, if they eliminated the Bye Week, it would shorten the season? Sounds very $$$$.
    Not to get off the subject, but still close to home, I saw an interesting t-shirt while at the Titans/Colts game. The name across the shoulders said Bud Adams and the two numbers were $$. You gotta' love that.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Personally, I like the bye week. It gives a team a chance to re-up.

8. Overalls

Overalls Starter

I agree with Psychop1. I know the bye week is about TV money, but it does give a banged up team a chance to rest. I am glad that the Texans finally got one of the later bye weeks. Our is week ten and by then I know the players will need a break.

9. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Yeah, but this year, we don't get a good bye week. I think they shouldn't start until week 6 at least. Having a bye after just three games doesn't do a team nearly as much good. It's almost an unfair advantage to have a later bye.

10. wg53

wg53 Starter

Code:
    Pretty much. 

Especially since the networks are paying so much money for the rights to carry the game. They at least wanna break even. [B](That's why ABC ditched MNF...they were losing $$ left and right).[/B] 
    Then why did ESPN pick it up? Aren't they owned by ABC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar