BUILD OUR DEFENSE; THAT'S THE KEY!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oilerstruck, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oilers27

Oilers27 Starter

Maybe Cox as well...he has been consistent. I could see McCourty go to safety like his brother in a year or 2 when we get some younger solid CB's in.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You say "when we get some younger solid CB's in" like its happening

Webster continues to ignore the need at CB going on 4-5 years now

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

This team has ignored the secondary at it's own peril. I can't count the number of losses this team has suffered due to the lack of talent at the back end of our defense. Just this year, it has cost us 2 wins that were "in the bag".

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. altitan

altitan Pro Bowler

I'm all about defense but the Bills only had 51 yards of offense the first half and still won. Of defense played good enough to win that game. We should have scored more than 13 points.

5. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

I have been saying for years now that we will not be competitive again until we build a defense. Once again a Superbowl is won by a team that can play D. We have to do something here if we are going to move forward. If not we will have a top 5 picking and a bunch of firings again next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

But what happens when you play a team who also has a very good defense and your offense is say like the panthers. I understand need to build the defense but also have to protect the QB as well. Carolina couldn't run the ball and the DL teed off on the QB . Has to be some help with offense as well.

7. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

Jalen Ramsey FTW

8. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

It is this simple- as pointed out by Darren McFarland on Monday, the last time the Titans were relevant, as in 13-3 relevant (2008), we were a top seven defense. Since then we've ping-ponged between the mid teens and the bottom of the pack. We've focused more high draft picks on offense (with perhaps a couple exceptions) because we've been unsettled at QB, WR and O line. In that process we've relied on free agency largely to bolster the defense, and at DL and linebacker is has worked to some degree. Injuries to free our agent corners have left us relying too much on the corners we drafted later, and the results have shown. We need to reverse this trend and go to free agency for our offensive needs, and then draft defense high - especially at the skill positions. Corner backs, safety and a pass rush difference makers. The only exception I'd make is at left tackle. If they can get an upgrade to Lewan they should do so and move him to right tackle. We have money to spend, so we should add veteran depth at receiver and running back. We need a proven commodity at RB - someone who will scare a defense. Right now we couldn't scare a troop of girl scouts with our running backs.
    These issues were cause by the void of the talent that were let go of for off the field or cap issues- VY, CJ2K, Pacman (not to mention Lendale White)- all high draft picks that helped us initially, fell off, were let go but we've done a lousy job of replacing. Add in late round successes like Finnegan who we parted with and you have what we have.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

We have been ignoring the defense over the last few years, except to bring in middle of the field FAs. We have ignored drafting D talents in the early rounds and it has cost us. Yes we need to fix the OL, but we can do that in FA and concentrate a D heavy draft. The offensive position we should look at in the draft is RB. Everything else should be on D.

10. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

OK, we have traded the #1 pick, now we need to zero in on the D! So many wanted Tunsil. I get that as he is a good player. But we already have a premier LT. And moving him to RT might not work at all as it’s a totally different technique. Ramsey, Jack, Bosa, or Buckner make better since. I’m not sure we can land one of them without trading back up, but we sure now have the ammo to do so. If we can’t do that a great RT in Ronnie Stanley should be there for the pickings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar