Bud sends a letter to the fans. (rant alert)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Dave Ragone will be the new QB. That has been the plan all along.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. pettso

pettso Starter

They can probably vote (or have their say) at the NFL meetings but their votes are very quickly drowned out by the other 28 owners. I'm sure the packers' owners would love nothing more than to have football next year because... well they're fans... but their vote is fairly insignificant in the big picture.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I don't remember that at all. Probably because I wasn't alive.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That's Prob-ably why lol.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

By this logic, I should not be able to go see the Sunday afternoon small town league baseball games in the summer for free (pass the hat for the umpires), should not be able to get a brat and beer for a combined price of $2.50, and there should be many more attendees than the 50-100 folks that actually do attend. Games are competitive, because the level of talent is consistent.....so why am I not paying MLB money to see this???? It is absolutely because of the level of talent.

I have enough gray/skin toned hair to remember the replacement games in 1987...it was horrible. It would be horrible again....trust the middle aged folks on this guys.

6. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

NFL live just said it can't happen this time

7. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

I don't think it will happen but that being said noone thought it would go that far last time. I've seen several people talk about how bad the games were last time. I was 17 so I can't say that I remember clearly because there was way too many more important things to me than football at the time. That being said, to my recollection, the first few games were horrendous then it seemed to level out and teams started playing each other more competitively. My point in earlier posts in this thread isn't that the talent levels were the same but that the players need to realize that without the vehicle of the NFL (television, radio, venues, marketing) they have nothing. I do know that the league would continue without the current players but the same can't be said for the players themselves. Sure you may think the games weren't as good for awhile but in the end the NFL would survive. This player union is strong but not as strong as the league of owners. The only reason a deal will be worked out with compromise will be because the owners don't want to go through the fiscal pain of rebuilding without said players.

8. CheeseheadTitan

Totally disagree....sure, the players need the media outlets, but the media outlets need the higher talented players as well. If not, why did NFL Europe, XFL, WFL, and the USFL go under?

You can market a crappy product, put as much lipstick on it that you want, but in the end, it is a crappy product with alot of lipstick on it, which was the case in 1987. Games were competitive, but the players were not top tier. It was like watching minor league football (if it existed), which, may not be "crap", but it certainly was not worth the money that folks were expected to invest.

If I was a season ticket holder (which I am not), I would feel like I was being charged MLB prices to watch triple A games. As a Sunday Ticket subscriber, I would not subscribe to watch replacement players either...not worth the money to me. I suspect that alot of people have the same opinion.

9. CheeseheadTitan

Can Lane Kiffin still play? Or could he ever play? I heard that his gig with UPS fell through, so he may still be on the market....

How about Jon Gruden? Or Tommy Maddox?

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Screw the players, bring on the replacements, I'm with the owners on this one.

50 years ago Bud took the chance on a pro football team, and he deserves whatever rewards he gets until his death. The only reason I'd like to see the books open is to see if there is any reckless and irresponsible spending, like the LA Dodgers paid 100,000+ to have a team astrologer.

Comments like Adrian Peterson's give me ZERO sympathy for the players.

If hypothetically all the best NFL players played in the UFL in 2011 and replacement players in the NFL in 2011, screw the UFL, I'm watching the NFL and I'm still going to all the Titans games and spending near the same amount of money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar