Brown to start w/ White!!!????!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Count me among the group that wants to see more Chris Henry.

I'm not saying he is ready to be a starter, but we've seen over the years what Chris Brown can do. Sometimes CB plays hard and has a great half, of course had his career game vs. Jacksonville this year.

But Henry showed good flashes last week. Time for him to get 5-10 carries a game.

But this shouldn't surprise anyone, our coaching staff has a history of overplaying people and this staff is clearly unwilling to make a mid-season change no matter how obvious it could be that one needs to be made.

Although in this case, it's not obvious, and I still want to see CB get some touches. I just wish we could work a way out to have all three RBs active on Sunday.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I like Brown in the role of a change of pace guy.

It's White I'm totally unimpressed with. IMO we need to use all three RB's.

Henry has promise & needs the work,Brown is fine in his current change of pace role & White might just benefit from the competition.

3. PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme Guest

I like all three of our backs but Henry and White are the future. Brown was brought back as insurance and will be gone at the end of the year. If Henry and White are getting it done that's who we need to go with.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

You'd never know we had the #5 rushing offense if you visited this forum.

Henry did well, but he also has only come in for part of a game - at the end after Lendale had worn down the defense a bit. I think CH could very well be the future back in TN, and I predicted he'll win the job by the end of the year - but he is still a rookie. Yes, he ran very well and that's a great sign - but what we didn't see was that the Titans probably had to be limited with the plays they were able to run with him. Protection schemes had to be simplified, or possibly not include him.

I love what we've seen from Henry, we can't push it with him when we've got a top 5 running game. Let him ease his way in. Make sure he understands the whole game and all his assignments first.

5. PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme Guest

If he's being effective, what's wrong with letting him learn all that stuff on the Job? Kinda like Vince, except it's easier to learn the running back position. Running backs come in as rookies all the time and make an impact. Why not push him in there just because we have a top 5 rushing attack? We could have THE top rushing attack.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Remember that the Titans running stats are still padded out by the Jags game.

Take the average of the next 5 games 36.8 att per game & we only average 118 yrds per game which ranks as a poor 14th in the rushing table.

Our average per carry including the Jags game is a pitiful 3.9 yd per carry average which is =24th in yrds per carry. We lead the league in rushing attempts per game.

White had 104 yards vs Houston on 28 carries. Take away his lone & extremely rare long run of 28yrds & it's 27 carries for 79 yds. An average of 2.9 per carry.

On the season he is a mere 3.3 yards per carry including the long run.

Brown & Henry have a 5yd plus average per carry. Do the math any way you want & White comes out as a below average RB.

He isn't wearing Defenses down he's hurting us with his lack of power & explosion. The problem is that we're stuck with him.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i like henry...although im not sayin hes better than brown/white...but he's definitly worth taking another look at next sunday. he should definitly be active and get at least 10 carries. if possible...we should activate all em guys.

8. MJTitans

But they are also padded downward by the fact that everyone is daring us to pass, and just throwing 8 and 9 man fronts against us. I'm not saying White is tearing it up, but we're not comparing apples to apples when we look at the stats. You can't seriously say that we are not wearing defenses down with the running game. We are 2nd in the league in time of possession - a direct result of leading the league in rushing attempts per game. That simply wears on any defense - and Lendale is the one carrying the load at this point.

You said Brown & Henry have a 5 yd per carry avg - but Brown has averaged 3.2 yards since Jax. Henry is averaging 5 yards per carry on only 11 attempts - one of which went for 42% of his total yards. He averaged 3.2 on his other carries.

We've all seen it - teams are daring us to beat them in the air and are determined to take away the run. We have come out running anyway - right into a brick wall. I'm not sure that's a fair judge of Lendale or any of our backs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Henry. We'll see more of him - I just don't think that 11 carries is enough to bench a veteran for a rookie... especially when you consider that only 1/2 of his job is to run - protection is very important and he struggled with that in preseason. He'll get another several shots this year due to injury - if he nails it 1 or 2 more times, then I'll jump on board.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i agree w/ that...good post...

but only i think he needs to get carries...we cant wait for injury..if we landed on a gem we need to use him...i think we need to see him activated next sunday...we need so see (he looked so good on some of his runs...if possible all 3 should be active but i no thats difficult)

10. MJTitans

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 3 RBs active, and maybe taking that extra spot from a TE? I think we've only gone with 4 active WRs - so I can't imagine going with 3, but we've had Troupe active and they haven't used him... although with Hall out we'll use more 2 TE sets, which means Troupe may see more action. It's tough to find the roster spot for a 3rd RB. I'd love to get Henry a few carries a game if we could afford deactivating somewhere else. Actually, CB could be a place to do it - Eric King was active last week. Griffin hasn't even been needed yet, so maybe go with 5 CBs instead of 6?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar