britt should start instead of gage

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I have no beef with Gage, but the guy isn't a starter to me (Ive been saying I think he's a 3rd guy since he came to TN). Some times he shows me up, other times mostly he justifies my opinion of him. He makes big plays here and there, not all day. Britt is a No. 1 guy, and has been more consistent when starting. I've been thinking since preseason that Britt needs to be our go-to guy. Where Gage, and Washington lineup I could careless. Both can play the slot position, or both could fight for the 2nd WR position so long as Kenny Britt stays on the field. Gage doesn't get the YAC often enough, and with few opportunities because of the running game, our receivers have to make the most out of what their given. If Britt is targeted 5 times, I feel that he'll make 5 plays. I don't get that feeling with Wash or Gage. Soon enough I'll have Britt in the Wayne, Moss category.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't think anyone would doubt that Britt was brought in to be the long term #1. He's not there yet. 5/5 is a lot to expect from anyone, and we haven't seen that so far. He's a rookie, realistic expectations are key.

One of the problems with Gage is that he hasn't started a full season since he's been here. He's shown some solid efforts at times. He's certainly been the best receiver on our team over the last two seasons, which by definition makes him a starter.

Whether Washington or Gage becomes our third best WR next season, we'll have a solid argument for having one of the best third WRs in the league.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What's Chris Sanders doing these days? I think he's still in the Nashville area. I may have been too young to evaluate his game, but I remember him in Madden being a great 3rd WR. We need that 3rd guy to put in work. It's helping the Pats, and Colts. And it only makes the offense more deadly.

4. From-the-stands

From-the-stands Starter

Why is Gage getting the start such a big deal to everyone? It's not like they play a position like QB or offensive line where the starter gets all the snaps.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

My only concern is not letting Britt get as many snaps as he's seen with Washington out. Gage replacing Britt, thus reducing him to #3, I am not for. Reducing Washington somewhat, since he's dropping the most currently, or rather, not taking advantage of his opportunities, I could possibly get behind a little bit, if he was used in a different way to take advantage of his skills.

But you guys realize...Kenny Britt leads all Titans receivers by about 200 yards (521), right? He's proven he learns quickly (faster than Gage / Washington, IMO) and makes the most of every given opportunity.

6. iQon

iQon Starter

Gage will come back to the #1. I like the guy, but Britt has outclassed him pretty much all year.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

here's the thing with gage; for whatever reason he ALWAYS starts the season slow, whether it be injuries or just not producing. towards the end of the year he goes on a tear for three or four games, gets us thinking that he's finally arrived, then goes back to being invisible.

we need to play the hot guy right now, and it isn't gage.

8. kdizzle

kdizzle Camp Fodder

My standard for Titans receivers is kind of low. We haven't had a good receiver since Derrick Mason. Look what happens when the leave the team....absolutely nothing. However, I think things are looking up.

I just want guys that catch it when thrown to and occasionally make a play that is beyond the ordinary. Getting separation occasionally would be nice. Nate has been the weakest receiver as far as drops go.

Gage was one of the only guys on offense to show up in the playoff game last year and he has been our most consistent receivers. He makes plays such as the monster catch down the middle where he broke his back bones. Britt makes plays too and actually gets some separation at times. The 4th down catches on the drive were awesome

How about Hawkins? He caught the ball when thrown to last game which was good. Does he have the same kind of speed that Nate has? If so, maybe bring him in more. A little competition sometimes helps.

Also, I really like Jared Cook. The guy is huge and fast. Go Titans!

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Even if we just accept your logic at face value, then shouldn't we DEFINITELY start Gage for the last few games, since that's when he goes on a tear? Heck, I'd be fine with doing that and then seeing Britt win the starting spot in camp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar