Bring back Justin McCareins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The Manning strategy? I seriously doubt that the Titans went into this game thinking they were going to have to keep Garrard on the bench. They were more likely thinking "We'll make him beat us with his arm, not his legs" - and then he did. Of course, even the Manning strategy goes out the window when you're down a couple scores. The assumption is that any play, run or pass takes one juke, one stiff arm, one race around the corner - any of that to score. The point is that every play has scoring potential.

Let's have a look at something. When we opened against Jacksonville last season, we pounded the ball. We had a total of 56 offensive plays. Our TOP was 28:40. Our last game, we had a total of 67 offensive plays with a TOP of 25:53.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

You ask chop if he watched the game did you?

1st series we passed incomplete. Ran for 2. So on 3 and 8 you think we should run?

Next series we pass for 1 (basically a run play) run run. Don't get the first.

Next time we get the ball we run for 1 then throw another incomplete pass. So you would have us run again on 3rd and 9?

The next series we get a FG and we run 7 times including 4 straight runs to start the series.

Next series we run run pass

Next series we pass to Johnson then run and lose the ball on a fumble.

How is that abandoning the run?

At that point we were at the half and down 27-3. No coach down 27-3 is going to be a run run pass type that will keep his job. That sets us up to look for maybe 17 points if we had a very solid second half and if our D plays lights out which it was not and shut them down we still lose by 7.

Basic football here. If you are down by 20+ starting the second you are not going to be looking to run very much.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:shake:

Are you guys seriously happy with 50% run, 50% pass in the first 4 possessions of a football game? With our team? Seriously?

Ok, let me explain this so a child can understand.

YES

NO

1st Series: Incomplete, CJ for 2, Incomplete, Punt.

My suggestion: Run on first down. (with LW)

Scenarios: We get 0 yards, but at least we've ran 40 seconds off the clock. Still end up punting.

or

We get 4 yards. Now we would be looking at 3rd and 4 instead of 3rd and 8. Maybe we get a first now, maybe we don't. Either way, we've ran an extra 40 seconds.

Jags 3, Titans 0

2nd series: 1 yard pass, CJ for 5, CJ for 2, Punt.

My suggestion: Run on first down with LW. Maybe we get more than 1 yard, and are in a better situation come 3rd down.

Jags 10, Titans 0

3rd series: CJ for 1, Incomplete, 8 yard pass, Punt.

My suggestion: Run on 2nd down.

Scenarios: Run for 0 yards. We've taken 40 seconds off the clock.

or

Run for 1 yard. If the 3rd down play unfolds the same, guess what, we have a first down now!

4th series: CJ for 5, CJ for 4, CJ for 10. First down!
    Incomplete, but penalty on Jags, sweet, still first down.
    LW for 0, Pass for 8, CJ for 6, First down!
    Pass for 6, CJ for 3, Pass for 12, First down!
    Pass for 12, first down!
    LW for 2, Pass incomplete, Pass for 5, Field Goal.

My suggestion: I wish we hadn't ran CJ 9 times at this point. It would've been nice to run with him on second down, again, so we wouldn't be facing 3rd and 8.

Jags 17, Titans 3

5th series: CJ for 9, CJ for 0, Incomplete, PUNT!

My suggestion: We are a RUN team. We should be able to convert 3rd and 1 on the ground. Maybe we should use LW more so CJ would be fresh.

Jags 20, Titans 3

It's worth noting, we start the 6th series with 3:21 on the clock. Based on some of the run changes I would've made above. It's more likely we have the ball with 2 minutes or less remaining. This strategy of running more possibly prevents the Jags from having time to score their last TD.

Series six: Pass for 9, CJ for 9 - fumble - TURNOVER!

My suggestion: Based on the changes I suggested earlier, I do not believe we would have much time to run the ball now. Perhaps try a draw play and run clock. Lick our wounds down 20-3 at halftime. But more than likely try some of these supposed deep threats we acquired in the offseason. I'd rather see a 40 yard bomb int, then a 9 yard run followed by a fumble. Either way, I would've used LW more, so CJ would be fresh, maybe that alleviates the fumble. Maybe not.

This is worth noting. 7th series: CJ rush for 18, Pass INTERCEPTED!

First half: 14 passes, 15 runs.

Is this seriously your suggestion for this football team? That we should be 50-50 pass to run?

Wow Amazing Analysis! :rolleyes:

The only problem is I NEVER mention anything about the 2nd half in any post in this thread. NEVER.

You so smart!

Again NEVER. I NEVER mentioned the second half in any post in this thread, except in this post to say I never mentioned it, which i guess means I've mentioned it.. oh sht! :gag:

Summary:

Run LW more so CJ is fresh. Running more takes more clock, reducing the amounts of time Jacksonville can score on offense. Make better choices on when to run and when to pass. Like run on 3rd and 1. Like Collins sucks, so let's run on first down.

But you guys love this Kerry throws 14 times, we run 15 times stuff. So I'm sure you are happy with our results. I mean, that one field goal was frickin' sweet!

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Okay addressing the thread and skipping all the debating I say go get McCareins. TitansErick has a point. If we have no WR in our WR's then we can't pass. Then Collins can't suck, then maybe we can win.

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Good maybe you can understand now ... though I doubt it. With all your whining about how people disrespect other people you all full of it. When people tell you to grow some take your thumb out of your mouth and re read this post.

Again I wonder if you watched the game. How do you expect 4 yards on 1st from a guy who has been getting 1 YPC on 1st? Oh right you are either playing madden or dreaming through the actual game.

Why don't the Titans hire you as HC? I mean you seam to have the game down and there is no way to break your theories .... better get you quick I bet there are a ton of teams sending contracts to a 15 year old. I mean it is so obvious ...

Do you read this stuff before you type or just hand it off to your monkey?

Do now we should not run? Wow hind sight is a delightful thing.

Ok why talk then. You wanted us to run and we ran more then passed in the 1st half. Your comments on the first half are stupid to say the least. You make no points other then trying to say we should have run a different play once you knew the play we called did not get us yards. Then on top of that you speculate as to what some play YOU with all of your football coaching experiece would call. How much experience was that again? Oh yeah nothing. Let me guess it worked on Madden right? :rolleyes:

:suspect:

You know this is a football board right? Your comments make me question if you have ever seen the sport before. I image you putting us on one of those magnetic boards and just letting the shaking justify the turning of the game.

Stop commenting and just read for a while. It would make it seem as if you knew anything about the game.

6. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

I can't believe the discussion here is for us to actually downgrade at receiver in order to see some success. It's literally addition by subtraction.
    Alright, so Collins' shiny new toys aren't going so great for him. But we're losing for reasons other than Collins, as well... If we're down and have to throw, you'd really rather have J-Mac in there, for the simple fact that the passing game wouldn't be as prominent to begin with? Mind boggling.

Note, I might have missed some posts because this basically just became a run vs. pass thread... again.

7. Alex1939

:rolleyes:

I just gave examples. But I guess you totally missed the point from them.

If we run on first down, we'll probably be in a better position on 3rd down. And if we are stuffed, we've at least used some clock. That's the past of our team, run first, clock management, tough D, close games.

If we aren't going to discuss football, why have a forum?

You needed examples to understand a very simple point I tried to make early in this thread. Everything I present is just hypothetical and to help you understand what I originally said in this thread.

We did not just throw to come from behind in this game verse the Jags. We threw early and often. Sometimes it's important to throw a team off guard and mix things up. But considering how Collins has been playing, and our nature and skill at the RB position, I do not understand that strategy.

Seriously?

"Do now we should not run?" What? IS my post seriously making you this upset that you can no longer form a sentence?

On sunday, I was yelling at the TV regarding our play call and strategy.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but if your strategy with our team would be to throw the ball on 3rd and 1, well that speaks for itself.

I think you need to calm down and take a breath. "I image you putting..."

Going into the game 0-3, after seeing Kerry struggle the last few games, I don't think it's that crazy to suggest we should return to our bread and butter. That's CJ and LW.

Sorry my post got your panties wadded up. Instead of seeing my name and immediately going on the offensive you should've just re-read my original posts in this thread. Nothing I said was outlandish. Your response was funny, because you go off about how a coach would be fired for not aggressively passing to catch up in points in the 2nd half. Of course, I never mentioned anything about the 2nd half.

Here's a sample of my original comments:

To clarify:

So we start off running and we have a successful drive.

If that doesn't make my point, nothing will.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I just don't get it. Fans on here have complained forever about unimaginative play calling. "Run, run, pass, punt". The offense is certainly not a well tuned machine yet, but you have balance in play calling. The complaining continues...

Alex, you seem to want White in the game more grinding out possessions. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to see that. At least get him more carries, but if we were to grind the game out with White, and still lose, wouldn't you just complain that we didn't get the ball more in the hands of our biggest homerun threat - Chris Johnson? This is borderline trolling. Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, on third and short, Garrard threw a strike to Marcedes Lewis, which he took to the house against us. You're certainly no expert. When we actually had a good passing offense in '03, I seem to remember us doing that successfully ourselves quite a bit. Oddly enough, the recipient of many of those third and short receptions was Justin McCareins.

9. Alex1939

You have to consider the context. We were 0-3, going into what most believed a game we should win.

Our 3 losses have a few things in common. Collins was turning the ball over. Lendale White wasn't getting many carries. Our defense was underperforming big time.

What seemed like a good strategy to me, would be to get back to the boring, run the ball, eat the clock, type of games that got us wins.

:yes:

I wouldn't complain about the offensive strategy. I've posted for a long time that White should get more carries leaving Chris Johnson fresh for the end of games, and at the end of the season into the playoffs. I'm a fan of Lendale so, no, I wouldn't complain.

Now, if that strategy failed multiple games in a row, then yeah, I'd complain that we weren't doing something different. But last year, it was a very successful strategy.

In what way does my post represent trolling?

I'm not an expert. Never claimed to be one.

This is also not the 2003 Titans. It's the 2009 Titans. Collins can't do what McNair could.

With this team, this losing streak, our running backs, and behind in the game, I run for it on 3rd and 1. There are times to try a pass on 3rd and 1 when the D is expecting run. And I'm not suggesting that we follow a set pattern that we never deviate from. But in the situation of last week's game I was screaming at the TV because we did not run the ball.

For what it's worth, I only broke it down series by series because Blazing Arrow insinuated that I was suggesting running the ball on 3rd and 8. I'm not sure why or how that conclusion was reached, so I went into further analysis (basically wasting my time from BA's response) in order to clarify what I mean when I say we should run the ball early and often.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

You still don't get it. That type of football only gets you wins if you have a good defense. Otherwise, you're just throwing in the towel.

Not only would it fail, but it would leave most questioning the intelligence of our coaching staff. There's no way this plan can succeed if the opposing offense is running up the score.

In the way that the tactic you are using could easily be used by any troll to stir things up. Now, I know you're not just a troll. I said it was borderline. When you complain about something, get what you want, then complain some more saying you want the same thing you used to complain about, it looks trollish.

You knocked the strategy all together. No matter who's behind center, it's a good strategy. Throwing Collins under the bus is just a copout. For what it's worth, I was upset we didn't run as well, but I'm not going to knock Heimerdinger when he has been getting creative with the playcalling. Same play could have easily been a strike to a WR that gets taken to the house. Then what would we talk about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar