Bring Back Floyd Reese as GM?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Nov 11, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'd rather stay within cap limits and always be competitive.

You know what teams do that? Those with elite QBs.

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Would reese hold the franchise hostage for CJ contract?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How is the franchise being held hostage? We signed a contract for a guy who is supposed to be our best player.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

This is the type of idiot attitude i hate. We are competitive now! 4-4 is competitive!

We have been competitive except under MR for most of his tenure but you have to have a top 10 QB to be a super bowl contender.

If Locker is that kind of guy then we will be that kind of team.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Eric's comment about being held hostage speaks to the ignorance of contracts and what is real guaranteed money.

Money paid out(SB) already obviously effects the cap on a pro rated basis even if a player is traded, cut or retires.

But there is this thing called guaranteed salary which means that if you don't release a player by the cut off date in March you still have to pay that salary and of course it applies to the cap.

That represents most of CJ's "guaranteed" money in his contract. That's why we can cut him at the end of the season and not have to pay any of it.

Now obviously you don't want to sign a guy to a 6 year deal(Actually a 3 year extension) with a hefty SB only to cut him after one season but i would hardly say that the whole franchise is held hostage.

The SB was $10M so basically we take a $2M a year hit per year if we did that. $2M out of a salary cap of $120M that will certainly grow in the next few years. Hardly something that could not be managed.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

This changed with the new agreement. If a team chooses to cut a player any signing bonus money they have spread out over the length of their contract immediately counts in full against the year in which they're cut.

That's why we're seeing contract's with years that trigger additional bouns money.

All bonus money is guaranteed for the player once triggered.

If we cut CJ this season his $10 million bonus money counts in full now against this years cap.

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

We wont know if locker is that kind of player till we play him! After tomorrow if we lose it is time to find out. No need to play a 36 year old qb so we can go 7-9 instead of 6-10. When we didnt go get Lloyd told me they were not trying to win this year. And we could have should have won this division this year!

Playing for next year fine. Play locker it may put more butts in the seats!

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

While we're on the topic off people we should bring back from the past, let me suggest bringing back VY to compete with Locker for the starting job. They have similar styles and have a similar skill-set. If one were to go down, the backup could step right in without having to adjust the offensive gameplan.

I want wins and I think an efficient mobile QB (in the future) is the route to go. Aaron Rodgers is a monster to gameplan for because of his mobility and ability to master his offense. Competition is good at any position and both could benefit from it. As we're seeing, good QB's can have long careers in the NFL. If we handle the contracts right we could get both QB's best years (Locker/Young until Locker is better than VY or Young's contract is up).

To stay on topic, I don't think bringing back Reese is the answer. I was down on Reinfeldt before the season, but I think he's done much better without Fisher at evaluating talent. I think we got away from what got us to 3-1 and if we can get back to that formula then we could compete with anybody.

9. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I really agree with the last paragraph of cjbeast post. The draft was actually pretty good this year. I do not think we are letting Ayers do what he does best.....bring pressure. Klug can play and so can casey, even think Campbell is better than the starting safeties and should get to play some at corner or S.

Reese is gone because jeff fisher would not be challenged on anything.

Best point is that we got away from playing how we got to 3 and 1. Went back to the old conservative defense and up the middle dink and dunk offense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

^^ I don't know why we got away from using our LB's to get pressure on the QB. Send in guys to beat up the other team's RB if they're not getting to the QB in time. When we blitzed earlier in the season we caused turnovers. Recently we started blitzing Finny and getting pressure again but what happened to our LB blitzes? We should be using combinations of all 3 to mix up our fronts. We finally have enough solid DB's to man up on a lot of teams if the ball is coming out quick. Finny, Verner, McCourty and Spoon can usually cover the other team's WR's and TE's with help over the top in Griffin/Babineaux.

We need to start being more aggressive in our blitzing and using our blitz schemes to help stop the run as well. Our strength this year is in our DB's man coverage skills. Collectively Finny/Verner/McCourty are a strong unit. We need to stop giving WR's 6-8 yard cushions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar