Bridge collapses in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

Gunny-

Structual failure in some capacity caused the bridge to collapse.

Just speculation, but they do use a lot of salt on their roads and that can cause corrosion.

2. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

As a licenced Civil Engineer, that does road and bridge design, this stuff should not happen under normal circumstances. Earthquakes and hurricane surges are exceptions of course. This has to do with shotty workmanship or neglect to a problem they knew existed. All I have to say is I'm glad I'm not going to be on the end of this disater. This is a federal highway and there should be a major investigation. Heads are going to roll.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Of course they rule out terrorism right off the bat.
    But I wonder?

The terror alert was recent raised to a high level, and we were told that Al Qieda (sp) has regrouped to where they were before 9-11 and up coming attacks were likely. There were workers doing maintainece on the bridge when it collapsed. Who do you see doing most or all of the roadwork? Mexicans. Or at least people who crossed the border into the US from Mexico, we don't really know anything about them because a lot of them are undocumented. Easy for terrorists to cross over from Mexico, work on these road crews where they have access to sabotage structures.

I don't know, but who knows?

4. cajuntitan

I'm not sure about MN, but I worked for the State Government for 5 years and they are very serious about not hiring undocumented people. In LA they do an extensive background check and if you are illegal or even if you haven't registered with selective service they won't hire you. They also closely watch the contractor's employees. I doubt that undocumented people were working on the federal highway.

5. Hoffa

They come in undocumented, but false credentials are easy to come by.
    I saw where in LA there are storefronts you can walk in and get SS cards, anything you want.

6. cajuntitan

Which LA?

is that LA = Los Angeles or LA = Louisiana? Just curious, because I've never heard or seen anything of the such.

Here is another point that might add to the discussion. Civil Service requires that everyone recieves appropriate pay. What would be the + of hiring undocumented people to work on state contract when you have to pay them the same as legal citizens?

7. Hoffa

Los Angeles. It was on the Nightly News.
    Like I said, they hire documented workers (although counterfit documents) .
    The problem is at the border, with the influx of people into our country that we know nothing about.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

they were doing work on the bridge or work in and around the area of the bridge ?

9. Hoffa

My understanding was they were working ON that bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar