Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Currently reading Nightfall, an Asimov & Silverberg book.

pretty good. Up next is the "NEW" Foundation Trilogy by Brin, Bear and Binford. Really looking forward to these books.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Halfway through the Da Vinci Code I loved it - by the end it had totally lost me. Didnt like it at all.

Anyone who likes crime stories should read Harlan Coben. He is fantastic and his books always have a humorous twist as well.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was the last book I read. Pretty good.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I've currently got a few books on the go. A couple of rereads; The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand and London Fields by Martin Amis. Both rereads were spurred on by arguments about the books in question. I'd read both books so long ago I needed to refresh my brain. Rands' "Virtue..." is a great read, it's basically a series of essays by Rand and Nathaniel Brand outlining the philosophy of objectivism. "London Fields" is an amazing, dark, twisted novel by my favourite author Amis (other great books by Martin Amis include Times Arrow, Money, Einstein’s Monsters, The Moronic Inferno...).

I received a copy of Evil Dead star Bruce Campbell's book If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of A B Movie Actor for Christmas. I'm only about seventy pages in but so far it's excellent.

Attached Files:

4. IndyTitan

IndyTitan So Peter...

Currently reading the Da Vinci Code. I am reading the illustrated version and it really adds alot with all the references to objects and locations in Europe that I would never have known about. This really helps since I am not the real religious type and unfamiliar with many symbols, religions, etc... that are referenced.

As for the Clancy fans, I am a Clancy fan myself. One of my favorites was Without Remorse. If memory serves me correctly, it was the first (in terms of story timeline rather than actual book release) for John Clark. Clark putting the guy in the pressure champer as punishment was great!

As a young boy, I always like the Gary Pulson books, especially Hatchet.

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I just finished it. The first part was a little frustraiting, just because characters are not going to be realistically having these long drawn out conversations while running down a hallway or staircase... once it got past that, it was pretty good. Dan Brown isnt the best writer ever, but it was entertaining.

I got two new music bios, Guided by Voices and Elvis (Last Train To Memphis), that are next on my list.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Was reading Flight of the Nighthawks until 2am last night, save to say it is a decent book.

7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Smashmouth by Elvin Bethea (with Mark Adams) is OK if you're an old-time Oilers fan, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Unfortunately, it's not well written and Bethea doesn't go into much detail about anything, especially the Oilers. It would be nice if the book was 100 pages (of details) longer. Still, a decent read for those who remember his playing days and were fans in that era.

Bethea was on 104.5 with John McClain a few months ago and told the story of how he invested his signing bonus one year to get into the cattle business on Bud Adams' ranch. He never saw any money though, because the cattle ate all his profits, LOL. As I recall, that story is in the book too.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Another book I found better than the movie.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

most books are better then there movie counterparts.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That seems to be true. Many of King's books have been made into lesser movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar