Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I can't read Eddings, I tried but i just couldnt get into it.

Tolkien is way too descriptive for me, it is too dry for my tastes.

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I find fantasy has become a completely derivative genre. In my now somewhat limited experience I find they're either ripping off Tolkien, Asimov or Phil Dick. I haven't read anything that could be called truly original Sci-Fi / Fantasy since Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of the Unbeliever stuff back in the late eighties (man they were great books). This is why the thought of reading some of Rowling’s work interests me. Sci-Fi / Fantasy when penned by someone who is capable and inspired is a fantastic genre, but generally it’s shelves are cluttered by the works of useless hacks who are just trying to cash in on the pulp fantasy market. I swear every second book my ex-wife read had a dragon on the cover… Harlequin Romances with a reptilian twist.

I think it was that popular hack Terry Brooks who opened my eyes to this. I was attempting to read his book "The Sword of Shannara" when about 30 pages in it dawned on me that the book was just a complete Tolkien rip job. His follow-up "Elfstones of Shannara" in turn ripped of Stephen Donaldson’s Unbeliever series.

I actually still have my original copy of "The Sword of Shannara"; it's a little worse for wear though, it doubled as a dart board for five years. It's tattered remains collect dust on a shelf in my den... a cautionary tale... a reminder to use a little more critical thought prior to making my purchases at the local bookstore.

3. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Guest

I tried to read Brooks too. Even my buds who love the genre diss that guy.

There was another guy who wrote a bunch of series. I tried to get into that too. My bud described it as "Eddings on steroids". I can't remember his name...he wrote a few series. Damn it's driving me crazy.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Fiest is a good fantasy author.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Reading Goblet of Fire, just finished the chapter on the First Task in the Triwizard (Quadwizard?) Tournament.

Excellent so far.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Heh good one :winker:

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

just finished Goblet of Fire, the books just get better and better (and longer and longer).

Gonna start on Order of the Phoenix tomorrow.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Is it me or do you read fast Gunny?

9. I can read a 600 page book in over 3 hours

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

My problem is I usually read the same paragraph twice to make sure I catch everything. And then sometimes I just take time to let my imagination work with a scene. I'm sloooooooow :sleepy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar