Bongo's round one mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Bongo posted his mock over on TC. I thought I'd spread it around. Love the Titan pick, by the way.

"1. Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Mia
    The word is BP and Ireland dont like either Brohm or Ryan at one and they dont think Howies son is fast enough to play DE in th eNFL and is better suited to a 4-3 DT............I believe they will try to trade this pick to anyone but i doubt they will be able to dump it for equal value. Gholston is that rare athlete than can flat out bust it and has the skill set of the elite DE...........This is Jason Taylor's eventual replacement i think they know Brohm will fall to two and they really like Flacco and Henne........alot more

2. Chris Long DE Rams The Rams need an edge player with Little getting old and never replacing Grant wistrom since he left............Long is excellent against the run and that is precisely what this team needs. The could also go DT but neither of the top DT play the scheme that suits the rams needs so they go Long

3. Glenn Dorsey DT Atl.........they are in total rebuild.............they need a QB badly but neither QB rates high this yr...........i think they will forsake QB til round two where they have several choices and they will look to add Dorsey to Abraham Anderson Boley and hall...............on D.

4. Sedrick Ellis DT Oak.............Sapp is gone and SEllis is very similar player as he will excell at the under tackle spot in Ryans D...........the Jets nation is pissed about this pick.............this is the guy they coveted and this move will facilitate a trade at 6.

5. Jake Long OT KC..............they need to completely rebuild their OL..........easy pick

6. DMAC RB Jets............ I think the Jets will trade out here to Jerry Jones and get both of Dallas first rounders for the sixth slot............Jerry Jones wanted him but would not give up what BP wanted.............Jets have gaping holes on the OL and DL that must be filled.

7. D Harvery DE Den Second straight trade............the Pats have LB and CB needs and none grade out to the 7th slot...........Pioli calls MS who wants to get the next best DE before Cincy come up............S got Moss in a trade up and now he has Harvey for Gator book ends.

8.Matt Ryan QB Ravens.........Much like the Steelers did the yr they got Ben........Matt falls in Ozzie's lap............this pick is up in record time.

9.PMerling DE...........Cincy...........Justin Smiths replacement.

10.DRCromartie CB NO...........this was easy for the Saints..........they need D everywhere...........he is there top rated CB.

11. DJackson WR/PR Bills..............they wanted Cromartie so now they go plan B.............DT is a need too but balmer does not rate high and is better suited as a 3-4 DE.............

12. Keith Rivers OLB NE ..............this is the new Willie McGinest..........They were looking at CB too but no CB rated this slot............and they could not trade out

13. JStewart..........RB Car..........they wanted an OT or DE but no one fits the bill..........but stewart is going to rocket up the board post combine........when he runs a sub 4.4

14. JOtah OT Chi.............fred Millers duplicate..........pencil him in as the starter.

15. KPhillips S Det...........they really wanted OLB Rivers and could use a thumper MLB but none rate this slot........so they go to upgrade their secondary.

16. RMendenhall RB AZ.............Edge's replacement is a great fit for this O..............

17. CCampbell DE Minn...........with udeze's non development now linked ot cancer and Erasmus james bust.....they need a DE badly...........WR is another possibility but the run on DE has begun..........they step up to get this cat............

18. CWilliams OT Texans...........they could toy with a RB here but their scheme devalues RB and they are in dire need of Ot or CB...........the Kansas CB is not fast enough to pick at 18 and they dont like Jenkins. Personally love this pick alot.

19. Sam Baker OT Eagles. With the run on good tackles beginning they have to replace Thomas and Runyan............Justice has been a work in progress.............so they go another USC OT.

20. MKelley WR TB.............they need to replace Clayton and Galloway is 36 yrs old..............they could go QB here with Brohm as a dark horse.

21. KBalmer DT.............Wash they need DL help and they could go Groves here but they instead go boom or bust with this yrs one yr wonder in Balmer

22. MJenkins CB Jets........the first of the Jets traded round one slots from Dallas............they need an OT or OG but this is a deep draft for OL.............CB cubbard is close to dry.........he will start right away and play against RMoss............he is a great athlete and fills a big need.

23. GCherilus OT Pitts.......with the run on OTs in full force the steelers coveted Otah but go with Max Starks like BC OT............

24. QGroves DE TN............this guy is a monster light weight DE that reminds many of Kearse as a tweener who will fall because of a subpar senior yr due to dislocated toes........make no mistake he is a great value here and fills a need............Jax lets out a collective sigh over this pick............its who Greg Williams wants............

25. CJohnson RB Sea.............this pick may shock some.......but it is holmgrens swan song........this kid is the best third down back in this draft..........after people see his size and weight and speed ration he will blow folks away............i expect him to run a 4.35-4.38 in Indy and he too like stwart will run up draft boards...........the other possiblity here is TE........but no one carries the grade for slot. This is the new BWestbrook............

26. ATalib CB Jax............with no DE to get they have to decide amongst WR or CB...........they go with their pedigree and upgrade CB since BWilliams struggled badly last yr.............darkhorse pick here could be WR or MLB.......

27. LMcKelvin CB SD...........SD could go RB or OT here but they are losing Florence and need CB depth since they have little behind their starters..........

28. RClady OT NYJ...........they get their new RT here and he will start right away...........great value here and he fits a monster need. thanks to Dallas trade the Jets patch two big issues in one round............

29. LSweed WR SF...........SF could go anywhere but with Mike Martz here I think WR is a lock...........personally think Sweed is a soft and will bust much like RWoods did here still SF makes Sweed its pick............could go Hardy at WR but he is too boom or bust for SF brass.............

30. ACason CB GB..............they will go DB for sure its either Morgan or Cason............Cason is a serious playmaker who will slip because of a bad senior yr and a lacl of burner speed but he is my favorite CB in this draft and reminds me of ASamuel and RMathis............great pick

31. Forfeited............

32 Dmorgan S NYG...........The Giants are tempted to jump on Connor but they have a gaping hole at FS that must be filled and after this kid there is no S who can help them this yr.........so they go Morgan over connor............Hardy is a darkhorse pick here because they need a big WR since tomer is about done and Plexiglass wants more money

I am sure you will tear it up...........but this is how i see it right now..........we will see how i change it as time goes on..............."

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

at least....... he knows........ what's coming..........

3. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Is this.......the......new way......of......communicating?.........

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

n..........................................o

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

If that's the way the draft turns out, i will be very disappointed.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Groves is better suited for a 3-4 D. He's a tweener.

The Titans needs DEs with a little more junk in their trunk who can stand up to the run and get a push.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This was my reply to that thread. I meant to add it here yesterday:

"I myself would love to get Groves in one, and have pretty well talked myself into him being the best defensive player for us in one, so much so that I will be disappointed if we don't get him.

I hope most people have let go of going TE in one...ewwww. I've been "feeling" like we have a great, and I mean GREAT, chance to sign Crumpler. Nashville is close to Atlanta, no state income tax, for starters. Playing with Vince has the potential to be like playing with Vick for Crumpler, only better (in many many ways). Crumpler would be highly valued here, and I think the Titans will make him feel it more than most teams. Another thing: probably didn't hurt (not fully knowing how much interaction they had) the Falcons and Titans practiced together here in Nashville. Surely there was some mingling of players and coaches from both teams.

Something else I've been considering offensively for a few weeks now: Chris Johnson. Yeah, on the surface, he looks like Jerious Norwood, but I'm seriously thinking of him like (don't throw the tomatoes here) Reggie Bush. I read that Johnson never truly found a position in college, meaning he spent as much time learning the WR position as he did RB. So I've been thinking, he could be our 3rd down back, KR and our deep threat. I've been liking this idea. Need a deep threat? Put Johnson on the field. I really wouldn't mind getting him in the 2nd, though he may go higher, as most have him ranked as the 5th best RB in the draft. I do think taking him as an every down back is the wrong idea, but I'm kind of hoping people sleep on him in the role I foresee him playing with the Titans -- enough that he falls to us in two. Because of the triple threat (KR/RB/WR) I see him as slightly more valuable than Desean Jackson. Sleep, people, sleep. (And hey, we took Chris Henry in two, correct?)

The other stray thought I've had (though as days pass, this seems less likely) is taking Rashard Mendenhall should he fall to our pick. I have no problem with three relatively cheap, high potential, RBs on our roster. Worst case scenario: we trade one for hopefully excellent value in a couple of years.

But Groves in one? I'm all for it."

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=58909

This comes out today after I've been carrying around these Chris Johnson thoughts.

"MEETING TIME: The Titans met with East Carolina running back Chris Johnson at the Combine as they continue to look for a complementary speed back to go with LenDale White.

Johnson is also a kickoff returner, and the Titans have a need at that position as well.

“They’ve shown me a lot of interest. [I met with them] last night. It went real good,” Johnson said. "

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Not directed at you, TJ, as I posted this yesterday, but relevant, and I feel lazy (so I copy, and I paste).

"Wasn't Kearse in the 250-255 range his rookie year? IIRC, he was around Jacob Ford's size. Groves is also 6'4", 250. What's the point? [Besides, he'll rotate in in lieu of LaBoy.]

This "ideally suited for the 3-4" is every media pundit's favorite snap judgement based on a DE's height/weight ratio the last few years. I've grown quite tired of hearing it myself."

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

agreed. just because there are more teams running a 3-4 than there were 7 years ago everyone thinks if you weigh less than 265 you're best suited for a rush linebacker.

has anyone even seen him try to cover a TE down the middle of the field? no, so what is it all based on? his weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar