Boclair is clueless... (Finnegan contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the Titans want Finnegan. Despite inconsistent play the previous two seasons, he had a solid season this year and seemed to perfect for Gray's defense. But I would be shocked that the Titans did much besides talk structure until mid-February. I think the tag has to be made around the 25th and it seems negotiation never get serious until days before free agency.

Just to give everyone some basis for what Finnegan may be looking for:

Revis: 4-year, $46M, $13.77M guaranteed (another $13.77M injury guarantee)

Asomugha: 5-year, $60M, $25M guaranteed

Joseph: 5-year, $48.75M, $23.5M guaranteed

Samuel: 6-year, $56M, $20M guaranteed

Here's a page with some good info on the top 10 paid CBs in 2011:
    http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sports/files/top-10-highest-paid-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-2011.html

I personally don't think Finnegan is a top 10 CB though he may feel very differently. I would rank him closer to #15.

I think the key to any contract is the guaranteed money. Total sum of the contract can be inflated with a lot of base the final two seasons the player often never sees.

I'm guessing 5-year, $40M, $16M guaranteed (with about half that an injury guarantee) is fair but I doubt that gets it done. Someone will pay him $50M/$22M so that is what it might take.

I believe the tag would cost the Titans over $10M next season which takes a big dent out of that $30M of cap room they have now. It would tie their hands since they like to enter the season with a few million in case someone goes down. I'd bet both sides want to get a deal done.

2. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Everyone keeps talking like we have to resign Hope or Griffin and if not we'll lose half of our secondary. Keep in mind Babineaux led the team in tackles and played most of the season. Resigning him to a 2 or 3 year deal would keep some continuity back there without having to resign either.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Chris Hope is gone, that's a no brainer. He still feels he's as good as he was in 2006 and surely expects to get paid like a top SS.

Mike Griffin, well he either bites too hard on pump fakes and play action, or hold back and blows a play. He's worth about $455k, but I don't think he'll agree so let his azz walk.

Babs played well enough that I'd hope we tried keeping him.

4. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Champ is still a top 3-5 corner.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

This. While Finny isn't Revis, he's a very good corner and as you said, brings leadership. And he always plays with a high energy no matter what the score is. He's not expendable. Resigning Finny at a reasonable price should be a top priority.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with just about all of this. I think Finnegan's contract should account for his part time nickle play.

All I really mean about not going with Verner and JMc on the outside full time - yeah, it could maybe work - is, why would the Titans do that unless they had no choice. Strategically, it's a conclusion that might not work so well. I think we both want Finny resigned and believe it'll happen some way.

I would personally be fine with the younger guys on the outside full time if Verner either wins in camp or has another season or so proving himself out there. He needs safety help on long balls, and that area is still a question.

7. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

how mad are you guys going to be if we resign hope and not bab or griff lol

8. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I would give Finnegan somewhere between Antonio Cromartie's and Johnathan Joseph's contracts.

I'd offer Finnegan 5 years 42 million (25 guaranteed).

I think that Finny wants to stay here. He is the leader of our defense and I am unwilling to see our young players fail because of lack of leadership.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Nickel corner is becoming an extremely valuable position in today's NFL. I could see it being a sticking point in negotiations. It's not a 3rd-string role like in the past. In some ways (and some schemes), it's the most important cornerback position.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Bailey? Joseph? Really? Finnegan is better than both right now. Yes, even Joseph. If we have their pass rush, Finnegan destroys, as he did before. His move to nickel didn't have anything to do with not being able to play on the outside. It had to do with the fact that we were getting eat alive out of the slot.

Finnegan is the most versatile player on our defense. He is a safety converted corner and he can rush the passer. He's just hitting his prime. Injuries haven't been a concern with him so far. Not re-signing him would be a huge mistake. If we have two other guys getting it done on the outside, good. We still need Finnegan on the field somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar