Boclair is clueless... (Finnegan contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That wasn't the question. :wink2:

I still think it's all moot anyway. If he doesn't get a deal he's getting tagged. Whether he gets traded is the real debate in my mind.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree. Finny either gets a deal or gets the franchise tag. We don't have anyone else that would deserve the tag and you don't just let your top CB walk.

3. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

We all have watched the games and have an opinion on what Finny is worth to this defense.The keys are what he thinks his value is,verses what the Titans think he is worth,verses market demand for a cb and who is willing to pay the most.

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

They valued it enough to move their best CB to nickel in that package. I guess we'll find out how much this new Titan regime values the nickel when they either sign Finny or let him walk.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Let me break the issues raised in this debate down in the following ways:

1) Boclair made a pretty uninformed statement, IMO. I'll stop at that.

2) You resign Finnegan because you can't trust that McCourty and Verner can be a good enough tandem, nor the backups be good enough backups and slot guys. Both played the same position on the outside besides.

3) The money Finnegan gets won't be that of a shutdown corner. He will be regarded during the negotiations by the organization as a guy who played well outside, but who took a step back for a couple of years, and a big step back as a team leader a year ago, who got revitalized by being used by a new DC as both an outside and slot guy.

4) You definitely get rid of Mouton and draft another corner at whatever round you think you found a good guy. There's enough depth there that his services are no longer needed.

5) Remember both Verner and McCourty are on rookie deals. They have some more to prove, but can be "Finneganed" (early reward contract at reasonable cap price) at any time.

6) There is no such thing a "giving Mario's money to Finnegan" or any other Peter to pay Paul scenario, IMO. Cortland wouldn't get a top 5 contract. Not even the stats bear that out. That basically requires INTs, sacks and fumbles. Subtract penalties. Add tackles and intangibles. He ends up with 70-80% of top money, if we sign him, I'd bet. And bonuses are easily managed still. High bonus, low salary. Spread it out. Nuff said.

7) There's no point to losing both your starting safeties and your best corner, potentially. Which is what could easily happen. We don't want Hope. We're pretty bleh on keeping Griffin, but what the meh. But he may be gone regardless. What if we ain't got no Babs either?

I think the Titans can move a little money to Finnegan and replace whatever safeties for less than whatever the sum of what they paid that group this year was, with no drop off in production.

6. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

you do realize its going to take mario and a stud dt in the first round to help morgan do good on the other side right? and finny has his own titans room he aint going no where....

and we would still have money to sign finny and williams if bud goes crazy for once before he croaks

7. theprizdfighter

Have we used the franchise tag yet? If not...it really is a no brainer.

8. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

That's the kicker. Tenn cannot afford to lose 3/4 of their starting backfield from a year ago especially since they weren't that special to begin with. You'd think they would re-sign one of those guys. Hope is done, Griffin will probably ask for too much, and Finnegan had the best season of the three and looks poised to improve further in his newly expanded role.

Another thing to consider is how McCourty/Verner would play with better coverage over the top (safeties) and hopefully a better, more consistent pass rush. Both of those areas should be addressed in the off season. If they are Finnegan may be expendable.

It all may come down to how much Finnegan is looking for. If it's reasonable I see Tenn making the offer.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Why can't we trust Verner and McCourty? McCourty is already a starter. Verner has been on the outside every time the Titans go to the nickel. Both should continue to improve.

As for the value of the nickel because they moved Finnegan inside, I think it was to better utilize Finnegan's abilities. Personally, I think it was a success but the question is whether or not the Titans feel it was enough to sink a big chunk of money into a guy who has been pretty average the two previous seasons or if there are areas of bigger need.

And look at it this way as well, Gray trusted the tandem of McCourty and Verner to have them on the field together at corner in passing situations. That would not have happened if they thought Verner/McCourty were liabilities.

Whether they get a deal done or use the tag, Finnegan will be a Titan next season, IMO.

10. theprizdfighter

Your correct, it was; there were a couple articles floating around with quotes from coaches telling us this.

Besides wanting to fully utilize Finny's skill set when in the nickel package, moving him to nickel also shows:

- the team has confidence in the second and third CBs to cover the opposing teams' top two receivers.
    - the team values the role on defense of the person who covers the slot receiver.
    - the team values that role enough to have their best CB not cover one of the opposing teams' top two receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar