Boclair is clueless... (Finnegan contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I see both sides. Let him test the market.

If we can bolster our pass rush in FA/draft then we won't really need to spend that money on Finnegan.

However, he does provide an intangible "identity" of scrappiness that is important for defenses to have. Who else can we rely on to drive the D attitude? Nobdoy on our D-line or LB crew comes to mind. So there is value in that even if he isn't on the field every down.

We'll see what he would cost us when FA opens up. Hopefully it isn't beyond what we can afford. I understand we have $30M to work with. Not impossible to retain him and meet our other needs.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Finnegan is not a top corner and shouldn't be paid like one. He's not a guy like Jonathan Joseph, Champ Bailey or Darrell Revis who can line up against the opposing team's best WR and play him all day.

3. savage99ss

savage99ss Starter

If not resigned for a good fair price, fine let him go. Like others said, he is not a shut down #1 DB.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Champ Bailey? Seriously? What is this? 2003?

Finnegan is twice the player Bailey is these days. top 5 corner- EASY.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Fry

Anyone who says Champ Bailey can't play, even right now, hasn't watched a Denver game this season.

Finnegan is in no way a top-five corner. He's pretty good in zone coverage, a good blitzer and good in run-support. He's not a guy you put on an island.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Dunce Finnegan is good, maybe even very good at playing the slot (where he did this year) but he was exposed and dominated several times last season when going against number 1's. That being said, I would like to keep him, let him check out the market and if it is reasonable then I would like to attempt to keep him. I would not pay him top 5 corner pay.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

CB is a very important position and as such you see teams spend money on CBs. If Finny isn't on our roster then we will be spending very very little money on a key position. Verner is on his rookie deal until 2014 and McCourty is on his rookie deal until 2013.

Most people feel that in todays NFL where passing numbers are at an all-time high that you need 3 starting CBs. This really means that you need 4 solid CBs because more than likely 1 will get hurt at some point in the season.

If we can't get a long term deal done with Finny then we can easily franchise him.

Finny is much more than just a nickleback. He is a starting CB who is a leader on our team.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign McCourty to a long term deal. Lock him up before he has a true breakout year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Fry

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. We did the exact same thing with Finnegan.

9. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

I' don't get Some people don't want to pay Finny,Griffin,hope or Babs so what should we do rebuild the whole secondary????

10. Fry

There's a difference in "paying" Finnegan and "over-paying" Finnegan. He's not a top-flight corner and he shouldn't be payed like one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar