Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Bo Scaife's Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vol036, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vol036 Guest

Someone explain to me what the franchise tag means for Scaife. Is it a one year contract that gives the organization another to work out a big contract for him? Thats the way I understand it...someone school me up...
  2. Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Moolah:
    $0
    Pretty much. It is a 1-year 100% guaranteed contract and the value is the average of the top 5 salaries at that position in the NFL from the previous season. So it lets the team keep the player that year and work on a long term deal at a fairly steep price tag. I think they have until the end of the regular season to negotiate the deal, after which negotiations can't begin until free agency.
  3. vol036 Guest

Cool thanks....
  4. chronbrownie012 Practice Squad

Moolah:
    $0
    You can franchise somebody for up to three years in a row....but it goes us a certain percentage every year

Players hate it because they don't get their big signing bonuses
    1 people high five this.
  5. GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Moolah:
    $0
    We can negotiate until July, then we're cut off until the end of the season. Then we can re-enter negotiations until the start of free agency.
  6. vol036 Guest

So does the organization make everyones contracts public, i.e. these players will be RFA, these will be FA, our rookies got this contract...etc.
  7. Knux757 Virginia Beach Elite

Moolah:
    $0
    What do you mean by that question? It kinda confuses me to what your asking. Do you mean as far as a Franchised Tagged player? While they're tagged, if a team wishes to trade for them, I believe they have to offer a trade pick depending on what level tender is placed on the tag(correct me if i'm wrong). Like for instance, Cassel was tagged and traded for draft picks in compensation, but I think the same goes for RFA's. I think because he's still on his rookie contract he'll be a Restricted free agent, so even if someone else signs him and we dont, i think we get a pick or something, but i'm not 100% sure so if I am wrong, I apologize and someone can correct me lol.
  8. Hard Hitter 53 Camp Fodder

Moolah:
    $0
    They can start back up as soon as the regular season ends.
  9. wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Moolah:
    $60
    As for RFAs, the only way you become an RFA is if your rookie contract runs out after you third season in the league.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.