Blu-ray movie picks

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by TitanJeff, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

With the PS3, I get some free Blu-ray movies. Some I've heard of. Most I haven't. I checked a few out at Rotten Tomatoes but thought I'd ask for opinion from the movie junkies here.

The movies are divided into categories as follows and I get one from each:

1. The Prestige, Wild Hogs, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
    2. Swordfish, Superman, Full Metal Jacket
    3. Stir of Echos, American Psycho, The Devil's Rejects
    4. The Patriot, S.W.A.T., Ultraviolet
    5. Chain Reaction, Omen 666, Flight of the Phoenix, Species, Hart's War, The Last Waltz

The only one I've seen is the Pirates movie. Any recommendations?

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Fulll Metal Jacket for sure
    Swordfish was decent
    Devil's Rejects
    The Patriot was ok I guess, but it irritated me
    haven't seen anything from list 5

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

1. The Prestige, Wild Hogs, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

The Prestige is a stunning movie set in 19th century England.Plot revolves around a bitter rivalry between two magicians played by Hugh Jackman & Christian Bale.Michael Caine & Scarlett Johannson have supporting roles.

To tell you more would spoil it but it's very very good.

Wild Hogs is a cliched buddy movie starring Travolta,Liotta,Tim Allen & William H Macy.Basicaly City Slickers on Harley's but it kind of works & has a few laughs.

You really have to ask about Pirates of The Caribean? Dude where have you been,great family movie.

My choice ,The Prestige

2. Swordfish, Superman, Full Metal Jacket

Swordfish,decent tech thriller,alright but not great notable for Halle Berry flashing her norks.

Superman, last years yawnfest or 70's classic,lets just say it's not about a big shark.

Full Metal Jacket,Classic Kubrick war movie.About the bootcamp more than the war. A truly great movie you'll watch many times. Gritty but lots of dark humor from a great script & a great cast.

My choice Full Metal Jacket

3. Stir of Echos, American Psycho, The Devil's Rejects

Stir of Echoes. Made on the back of the success of the 6th sense it's another ghost story.Similarities end there. Based on a Matheson book(the guy who wroteI am Legend) this is an awesome movie featuring an oscar worthy performance by Kevin Bacon. No question ,the best movie in group 3.

American Psycho, Christian Bales 1st adult role as a psychopath. Seen from his view of the world it's dark,disturbing & violent but you won't forget it.Based on Brett Easton's often banned novel.

Devils Rejects is a slasher horror movie.Not great but if you like the genre not too shabby either.

Without doubt Stir of Echoes

4. The Patriot, S.W.A.T., Ultraviolet

The Patriot,Mel Gibson before he pissed of the Jews & became unpopular with everyone but the distilleries. Gibson & Son Heath Ledger kill a lot of Redcoats(can't think why) in epic American revolution flick.Braveheart with muskets.

SWAT Pacino,Samuel Jackson & Colin Farrell make a big budget turd about a SWAT team so that can get money from the studio to do more interesting side projects.

Ultaviolet don't ask,rub tobasco in your eyes before choosing this turkey.

My choice,The Patriot but only because the other two suck big time.

5. Chain Reaction, Omen 666, Flight of the Phoenix, Species, Hart's War, The Last Waltz

Chain Reaction,poorly scripted & implausible sci-fi with Keanu Reeves & Morgan Freeman not good.

Omen 666, a modern remake of the Omen. Basically the same movie as the original with better effects & cinematography. Treated as a serious horror movie with a good cast but if you've seen the original why bother.

Flight of the Pheonix Dennis Quad remake of the 60's movie of the same name. Don't bother,do you yourself a favor & rent the original which has a far better cast & is basically the same movie.

Plane crash survivors in a tale of the human spirit faced with impossible odds.Great movie,the original.

Species,sexy Natasha Hentsridge is an alien trying to seduce half of LA in order to procreate & take over the earth. Lots of sex scenes more holes in it than last seasons seconday.

Harts War,Bruce Willis in a WW2 court martial drama,heavy going but watchable.

Last Waltz,Scorsese rockumentary about the last performance of 'The Band' featuring a who's who of the rock hall of fame. I haven't seen this but it's supposed to be very good if you like 70's guitar music.

Flip a coin between Harts War & The Last Waltz IMO.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Many thanks for the reviews.

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

TJ, Amazon is having another one of their Buy One-Get One Free deal on a selection of their Blu-Ray titles...just in case you are interested.

Amazon 2-for-1 Blu-Ray Deal

6. __pg

__pg Digital Ninja

I'm in the same boat. I have most of these on DVD but this is what I think I'm going with. All the ones I am getting are for the blu-ray experience more than looking for a good movie.

1. Pirates
    2. Superman (for the airplane scene)
    3. American Psycho or Stir of Echoes (all I think about is the finger nail scene)
    4. The Patriot
    5. Flight of the Phoenix (closed my eyes and picked one)

I'm interested in seeing the "upscaling" of movies before HD was around

Also have you looked into the UPC thing. You have to cut it off the box to send in. This won't/shouldn't cause any problems further down the road right? I did get the 2 year warranty as well. (I know the PS3 is a rock, but I have had hard times in the past and getting it makes me feel better. :) )

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Quick thought about the Ps3....

I have an upscaling DVD player downstairs and the PS3 upstairs. I will say standard def DVD's look MUCH better on the PS3 than the HDMI upscaling player downstairs. Don't know why, but was really surprised. BTW...I am getting the 5 free movies as well. Other than American Psycho and Full Metal, don't care much about the others. Wish you didn't have to do categories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar