Blu Ray for da cheap?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Bobo, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't have a big collection of DVD's I'd have to replace (don't really understand that concept anyway). I rent mostly, but the few movies I buy I won't have a problem paying 25% for Blu Ray.

I have a hard time believing the pic quality isn't much better. Going from DVD to HD DVD on the same player and same movie was a big difference to me.

My mom really wants the thing, so as usual, "mom's always right" :lol:
  2. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

You don't even have to replace them anyway. Blu-rays are upscalers anyway (i think), so you get a better picture regardless.
  3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yep that's what I figure too.
  4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

you don't need to replace a single disc
    the first thing I did when I got the Ps3 was to slap in run-o-the-mill copy of the Fifth Element...... and I had to sit down
    the scaler in the Ps3 works very well and that should be similar for standalones.
    i love it when people say they can't tell the difference. I can. but I'm also aware of it, know what to look for and doing so

my father-in-law is one of these people that has issues. he's got a 60" 4:3 rpj that has horrible vignetting issues, the guns are out of focus and only the center 25% radius is in focus. it's unwatchable with dark material and he's a horror fan....... all these issues and he *****es about widescreen letterboxing
    I couldn't believe what he suggested to me while watching The Dark Knight over the weekend ...... he asked me why I didn't zoom in to crop out the bars !!!!! are you freaking kidding me ? he doesn't understand the concept of losing 1/3 of what the camera shot or screwing with the resolution

he's the type of guy who doesn't see it
  5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That's funny Puck because I've seen people do similar things.

And oh yeah, the first Blu Ray I watched was shweet! And that was just Step Brothers. Batman be next for the PS3, but I watched some of it on mom's Magnavox (what I ended up getting her) and it was great on it and her lesser tv than mine. If she wants the better tv, she'll have to buy it herself :lol:
  6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

look, this is one of those things were you don't want to skimp out

like with many pieces of A/V equipment, you are bound to get different results with different gear. a BD player from Best Buy like an Isignia will not give you (imo) as good a picture ... it's a nuance thing, kinda like using heavy gauge speaker wire, high-end HDMI cables, Power Conditioners, etc....

with only about $100 separating the good from bad, it's worth it
  7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

nevermind

:ha:
  8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

1440p and 3D are right around the corner

--- fwiw, 1440p is double the vertical resolution of 720p and is 480p x 3 ---- which seems to make more sense
    monikers like SuperHD and UltraHD are already beginning to be used

broadcast needs to stick with 720p
  9. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

so is Mitsubishi with their new LaserVue
    other companies like LG, Samsung, et.. are displaying the tech at CES
    as a matter of fact several had them at CES last year when I was there
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.