Blu Ray for da cheap?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Bobo, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Ok? Here's one thing you can bet on: 99% of people that own a Blu Ray player have internet.
    FAR more people have the internet than blu ray players, and far more people would be willing to download than purchase discs.
    It'll be a lot cheaper to find a way to pull data through a TV via downloaded files than it will be to buy a blu ray player and the discs.
    Let me guess, CDs are going to stay also, right?

Discs will be extinct within 5 years.

And I can see the difference between DVD and Blu Ray- just not a big enough one to make me want to spend more than 10 dollars for the upgrade. It isn't that significant.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Dear lord,

You simply have no idea.

First of all, you have nothing to back up what 'far more people' want, nor do you (as usual) provide any logical backing of what you say.

Second, 99% of people who own Blu-rays have internet is completely irrelevant. Blu-ray is the next format, it is not in 'now'

Third, in five years there will not be any chance at all the download rates needed to get a downloaded movie. Not with capped internet around the world, plus most of the world either on dial-up or have no internet at all.

I know you are incapable of thinking outside of your own little world, but I'd wager 50% of the world can't even get the broadband.
    These people do, however, have DVD players since they are readily available and easily accessible and are guaranteed to work.

DRM is also an issue with Digital downloads. If someone loses a movie, it's going to be a pain in the butt to get it back.

Blu-ray is selling better than DVD was at the same stage in its life. The Dark Knight has sold almost 2 million in a week on Blu-ray alone.
    The players are slowing beginning to outsell DVD players.

Sony is backing Blu-ray and they own 40% of Hollywood, you think they are going to succumb to digital downloads.

Digital downloads are not feasible for 99% of the world. Physical media players are.

3. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Anyway back to the topic.....I do say if you want a blu-ray player...I would just go w/ the PS3, unless you are not a video gamer at all. If you are even a mild gamer, your better off buying the PS3 than a cheaper priced/model blu-ray player....just alone for the fact that the PS3(has been stated, not sure if fact) has the same quality player as any of the top model standalone blu-ray players, plus you get software updates for the PS3 blu-ray player since its Wifi.

If your a gamer, just get the PS3, or maybe even think about getting into gaming. You get more for your money w/ a PS3 than just getting a standalone player.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

at BEST BUY (in their weekly ad that came out Sunday0 they've got a good deal (i guess)

FREE BLU_RAY PLAYER
    with the following
    10 BluRay purchases
    and an HDMI cable $79 and up

that sounds horrible! (considering its merely an Insignia player)
    but they had several (somewhat decent) movies for $14.99
    and then of course, a way overpriced HDMI cable

but still $150 + $80 = $230 for a blu-ray player + 10 movies + monster hdmi

oops: check that - $24.99 titles
    which makes this all the less attractive
    but hey, if you're gonna get the movies at some point anyway, might as well get a free player

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Did you check Buy More?

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Gunny- You side with every item you buy. How odd you're found here doing it again. Sticking up for whatever you were silly enough to purchase.

Mp3s > CDs
    Digital Movies > DVDs/BluRay/Anything else

You seriously think the portability of digital movie files will lose to a disc system that's BARELY better than dvd? Seriously?
    For once look at something without your fanboy bias. Yes, you bought it. Great. It's not going to divorce you and leave if you give a fair analysis on it. Christ.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

LOL. Gloat, you have NO IDEA. (no surprise).

Digital Music Downloads haven't even taken over CDs and it's been out 10 years. CDs still sell. The quality on CDs are better.

There is a difference downloading a 5MB music file to a 5GB movie file.

Instead of talking your usual dribble, why don't you actually back up the typical BS you spout.

Tell me how the world is going to be able to download movies considering the bandwidth, the speed and the availability isn't there?

Come on genius, start proving yourself.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

think i have to go with gunny on this one.

how often are you going to be out and be able to watch a movie like you can an listen to an mp3? probably never unless you're in a big college classroom and want to fail your course.

i don't see any advantage of having digital downloads other than saving shelf space.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Consider how many DVDs you have.

I have 300 at least. I'd wager an average DVD holds 5GB. 1500GB that is a damn lot of storage space you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar